At Career Services, the Graduate Student/Postdoc Team has been busy planning a very exciting summer event: our 2021 Job Search Prep Camp for PhDs in the Humanities & Social Sciences, set to take place virtually from Monday, June 7 to Thursday, June 10 in the mornings! We invite all Penn PhDs, postdocs, and alums to join us for this series of 10 programs aimed to help you explore career paths beyond academia, understand what employers are looking for, prepare for all aspects of the non-faculty job search, and learn about our newest digital resource for PhDs at Penn, Aurora by Beyond the Professoriate. Whether you’re a recent PhD alum, a first-year PhD student, a postdoc, or someone who is ABD, you’ll come away with some new perspectives, strategies, advice, and resources to help you explore and plan for your future careers.
Here’s brief snapshot of our four-day schedule. We encourage you to visit our Prep Camp webpage for a full schedule and to register for all of the events.
MONDAY, JUNE 7
- 9:00 – 10:15am: Exploring Careers for PhDs
- 10:30am – 11:30am: Student and Alumni Job Search Panel Discussion
TUESDAY, JUNE 8
- 9:00am – 9:55am: Demystifying Job Ads and Researching Employers
- 10:00 – 10:45am: Reviewing Job Candidates from a Hiring Manager’s Perspective
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: Hiring Manager and Recruiter Panel Discussion
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9
- 9:00am – 10:15am: Converting Your CV to a Resume
- 10:30am – 11:45am: Telling Your Story in Cover Letters
THURSDAY, JUNE 10
- 9:00am – 10:15am: Acing Your Interviews
- 10:30am – 11:45am: Negotiating Your Job Offers
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Announcing the Launch of Aurora at Penn
We look forward to seeing you at our Job Search Prep Camp in June!