Tuesday, October 20th, 2020, 12:00 – 5:00
Virtual STEM Career Fair
Click here to register or visit: https://app.joinhandshake.com/career_fairs/15528/employer_preview
What is the Virtual STEM Career Fair?
Join us for Penn’s newest career fair (formerly the BioSciences Career Fair) focusing specifically on STEM students and postdocs. Take this opportunity to showcase your internship and full-time opportunities to a population of >2,200 undergraduate students with declared STEM majors, >6,000 Master’s and PhD students across all STEM fields, and 1,200 biomedical and engineering postdocs, all together in one virtual career fair for the first time!
With Penn’s strong reputation for biomedical research, this career fair has a particular emphasis on the life and physical sciences, and attracts employers from a diverse range of industries and career fields (including the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, consulting firms, science writing and publishing organizations, patent law and intellectual property firms, government and non-profit institutions, and more!).
Participate in this virtual career fair to enjoy these featured advantages:
- ACCESS TOP TALENT: Penn undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs are driven and engaged, and bring with them strong research skills, and transferable skills applicable to careers beyond research. Postdocs from organizations affiliated with Penn, including the Wistar Institute and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, will also participate in this event.
- REVIEW RESUME BOOKS: We will create resume books for this year’s event, broken down by degree and whether students/postdocs are seeking internships or full-time opportunities. Employers will receive a PDF of resumes from students and postdocs registered for this career fair one week prior to the event. Employers may reach out and connect with students that they are particularly interested in talking to, and arrange to meet during the career fair.
- INTERVIEW SCHEDULES: When you register, you can indicate if you are possibly interested in creating interview schedules with students on the Thursday and Friday after the career fair through our online system. This would provide an easy way to interview students and postdocs you meet during the career fair. Employers hiring for specific positions can identify these during the registration process by uploading them to Handshake as part of the registration process.
- ESTABLISH AND MAINTAIN A PRESENCE AT PENN: Build a recruiting pipeline for future STEM candidates.
Penn’s students and postdocs are eager to make a connection with employers interested in their wide range of technical and transferable skills. Take this opportunity to participate in this event, and you can be confident that you will find the high caliber of students and postdocs that you are seeking.
Don’t forget to view our other virtual career fairs to find the events that is the best fit for your recruiting strategy. You can find information on these fairs below
The Virtual Fair Format
Given the expected ban on large gatherings for Fall 2020, the University of Pennsylvania has decided to move to a virtual format for 2020 career fairs. The health and safety of our students and employer partners is of the highest concern to all of us, and we are confident that a virtual fair will provide an excellent avenue for students and employers to connect. Penn will be using the Handshake career fair platform as it will provide many benefits including the following:
- A familiar and integrated platform which students and employers already use for job listings, information sessions and campus interviews
- Flexible communication modalities including video, audio, and text
- Group sessions that help students learn about the organizations in which they’re interested during the fair
- 1:1 appointments and scheduled interactions that allow students to form a more meaningful connection with recruiters during the fair
- Ability for employers to customize their “booths” similarly to how they customize their Handshake profiles today
Employers can also express their interest in hosting an online info session on the Monday before the career fair. You can sign-up to request one of these virtual presentations during the registration process.
Employers with specific opportunities can identify these during the registration process by linking their registrations to jobs they have posted on Handshake, and these will be highlighted in the career fair booklet, and in the pre-event outreach and marketing to students and postdocs interested in attending the fair.
Employers will also be provided with a resume book ahead of the career fair, and can request the opportunity to set up online interview schedules with students/postdocs on the Thursday and Friday after the event, to interview candidates you meet during the career fair.
Registration Fees and Deadlines
The registration fee is $300 per company and $150 for start-ups, non-profits and Penn affiliates. There is an opportunity for employers to sponsor this event, and details are provided during registration. Payment can be made by credit card or check – details about payment methods can be found during the registration process, and on the invoice you will receive once your registration is confirmed.
We encourage employers to register by Thursday, October 1. This will allow you time to set preferences on your 1:1 meetings and efficiently use the virtual interaction time. To receive a full refund, employers must cancel before Monday, October 12. We will send resume books to employers on Tuesday, October 13.
If you have any questions about the different populations of graduate students or postdocs who attend this fair, then please contact Dr. Joseph Barber (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are specifically interested in the undergraduate students attending this event, then please contact Mylène Kerschner (email@example.com).