P1P Gateway Student Mentor
The Gateway Student Mentorship program is an academic year-long program designed to connect incoming first-year students, upper-level undergraduates, and faculty who identify as and share the experience of being first-generation and/or lower-income (FGLI).
- Currently enrolled Penn first generation and/or lower-income* rising sophomore, junior or senior
- Seeking to connect with faculty
- Have an academic transcript that demonstrates consistent performance and/or improvement over the course of time at Penn
Peer Mentor Responsibilities & Commitments
- Dedicate six hours per month to Yes @ Penn Debrief circles with GSM mentees, individual mentee meetings (as needed), and programming
- Build rapport with mentees and connect them to appropriate Penn resources when needed
- Participate in/Co-lead programming, workshops and events
- Including New Student Orientation Kick-Off, YES @ Penn Module debriefs, Faculty Dinner, Mentorship Fair, and more
- Must attend virtual summer training (TBD)
- Availability for some evening/weekend activities
- Resume (See Career Services resume advice and samples for inspiration)
- Writing Prompts: Three questions (no more than 750 words total):
What is your definition of mentorship?
What is something you wish you knew as a first-year student at Penn?
What are your interests, passions, and aspirations?
*To complete your application, you will need to fill out the Recommendation Contact Form to provide contact information for ONE recommender. Your recommender can be a Penn peer you’ve mentored, a Penn staff member, or Penn faculty who can speak to your leadership or mentorship experience. Once we are provided with contact information, we will email the recommender on your behalf to fill out the recommendation form.
University of Pennsylvania
|Sponsor:||University of Pennsylvania - Penn First Plus (P1P)|
|Start Date:||Aug 23, 2022|
|End Date:||May 12, 2023|
|Apply By:||Apr 21, 2022|