Introduction to the job:
1Sharpe Capital is an investment management firm with more than $1 billion of assets under management. Founded in 2016, 1Sharpe manages assets on behalf of institutional investors across a range of credit and real estate related investment strategies. We are seeking an analyst to join our investment team. This individual will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with direct exposure to the cofounders, portfolio managers and management team, and will have a chance to focus on all aspects of the investment management and real estate business.
To work at 1Sharpe you need to be exceptionally intelligent or especially persistent — or to be a rare combination of both. You’ll need confidence and an approachable personality that will fit in with the culture of the firm. We need people with ambition to grow and evolve with the firm as we seize opportunities on path from $1 billion of assets under management to $5 billion of assets under management. Initiative and flexibility will need to be your default.
Our founders have built, sold, or run businesses across equity and credit investing, real estate investing, and technology. Our senior team have worked in hedge funds, technology companies, private equity firms, and investment banks, and you’ll have training across the world of finance and investing.
We are interested in candidates of any education or employment background if they are serious about their interest in investing and in their drive to succeed. You’ll need quantitative skills to keep up with a business based on producing financial returns. You should be comfortable with data and modeling tasks. We also expect that you will be a clear communicator, able to express the output of your work and your opinions.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Learning from well-known names in the real estate and credit investing
- Training in equity, credit, and real estate valuation
- Capital markets theory and deep document reviews
- Exposure to business operations of a growing firm
- The use of technology to solve problems across both operations and investing
- Growing with a firm on an upward trajectory
- Competitive compensation
- Your responsibilities may be fluid across four core areas
- Credit investing
- Real estate investing
- New initiatives
Your daily assignments may include:
- Learning the business of residential bridge loans, single family rental loans, residential and commercial mortgage backed securities (RMBS and CMBS), and esoteric asset-backed securities (ABS)
- Researching markets and assets in the multifamily real estate space
- Optimizing loan trading, financing, settlement and operational workflows with various counterparties
- Monitoring and developing reporting for needs of the investment portfolios and financing facilities
- Refining the investment process by designing and building out portfolio management, trading, and surveillance tools
- Preparing of marketing material for lender or investor correspondence
- Communicating in a small, collaborative team
· Strong work ethic and a drive for excellence
· Initiative and persistence
· Willingness to work under pressure
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
· Extraordinary attention to detail
· High-level of integrity and ethical standards proven through action and behavior
· Ability to be effective and flexible in a fast changing, demanding, and growing environment
About 1Sharpe Capital
1Sharpe Capital is diversified real estate investment manager providing a combination of equity and credit strategies to institutional investors. The 1Sharpe team has decades of experience investing in real estate related assets and operating companies related to real estate.
The firm was founded by Rob Bloemker and Gregor Watson. Prior to founding 1Sharpe, Rob was the head of fixed income at Putnam Investments, was portfolio manager for the mortgage hedge fund arm of Cerberus Capital, and acquired 10,000 single family homes. Gregor began his career as a land developer before founding 643 Capital and Roofstock.com, where he currently serves as Chairman. Gregor also acquired more than 10,000 single family homes during the subprime recession. Rob and Gregor were together the founders of Dwell Finance, purchased by Blackstone to serve as a foundational piece of what has become Finance of America, Blackstone’s investor and bridge lending origination arm.
About 1Sharpe Capital
1Sharpe Capital is a Bay Area investment manager offering institutions and qualified investors access to a broad range of investments focused on superior risk-adjusted income generating assets.
The 1Sharpe team has decades of experience investing in mortgage-backed securities, originating real estate-related loans, as well as acquiring, renovating, and managing real estate across the country.