Abt Associates seeks qualified, intellectually curious candidates to help us tackle a broad spectrum of issues. You’ll serve as a Research Assistant (RA) to help us address challenges ranging from workforce development and education to chronic and infectious diseases and criminal justice reform.
If selected, you’ll be part of our efforts to help move people from vulnerability to security as you work on research and projects for such clients as federal agencies, state governments and foundations. We will mentor you as you learn about policy areas and develop professional skills in qualitative and quantitative research methods, analytic reasoning, verbal and written communication and project management. As you work with our experts in our Social and Economic Policy and Health and Environment divisions, you’ll learn a key professional skill: how to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
Your first year will consist of a robust curriculum that encompasses professional development opportunities, networking events and more. Positions are remote for now with the preference that as the offices open you will be available to work from one of offices in Rockville, MD, Cambridge, MA, Durham NC, or Atlanta GA to meet and work with colleagues in person.
Abt’s mission is to improve the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. It’s not a slogan. It’s what we do. Every day. Join the Next Generation.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• Code, collect, clean, and manage quantitative data and perform statistical analysis, modeling, simulation, or simple forecasting using standard statistical packages, such as Excel, SAS and Stata
• Support qualitative data collection by, for example, scheduling telephone interviews and site visits, helping to develop data collection protocols, taking interview notes, and helping to summarize interview data
• Conduct literature reviews using internet-based search techniques and research databases
• Apply project management techniques by implementing project timelines and coordinating the appropriate staff to meet scheduled milestones for a task (e.g., report development)
• Provide administrative support to project teams, including assisting with the coordination of presentations, meetings, and conferences
• Participate in meetings with clients and other external partners by telephone or in person and take meeting notes and prepare summaries
• Contribute to the development of project deliverables by drafting sections and preparing tables and charts
• Apply knowledge of computer-based word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database applications to project work
• Keep abreast of trends and developments in the proposed field(s) of specialization, by for example, attending formal training to enhance quantitative/qualitative analysis skills, professional association meetings, and in-house professional development activities and events
• Participate in business development by contributing to the proposal development process. For example, by compiling staffing and corporate qualifications materials
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
• This is an entry-level position requiring quantitative research, qualitative research, writing, and analytical thinking skills
• Strong academic record required
• Sound judgement and discretion
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work well in fast paced environments, balance the demands of working on multiple projects simultaneously, and collaborate on teams
BA/BS (0 – 1 years of experience) OR the equivalent combination of education and experience