AI4ALL is an Oakland, Calif.-based nonprofit that opens doors to the artificial intelligence industry for emerging talent through education and mentorship. We nurture a global community of students who learn AI fundamentals and who then apply those principles to solve society’s most pressing problems in deeply innovative and ethical ways. AI4ALL has empowered over 12,300 people globally with AI education. Eighty-one percent of alumni in AI4ALL Changemakers in AI are interested in a career in AI after completing the program, and many are already making significant impacts in the field, from educating their peers to winning “best paper” at top AI conferences. In 2020, AI4ALL Summer Programs ran at 14 top universities around North America. Over 4,000 high school teachers and students have used AI4ALL’s free AI curriculum through AI4ALL Open Learning. Additionally, AI4ALL College Pathways launched at two universities, increasing access to AI careers for college students not already on an AI pathway.
By telling a new story about who can be a leader in AI, we’re creating tomorrow’s AI leaders and changing technology’s future. AI4ALL has received funding from Melinda Gates/Pivotal Ventures, Jensen and Lori Huang, Google.org, Prudential Financial, Microsoft, EY, and The Micron Foundation, among others and has been featured in the New York Times, TIME, CNN, USA Today, and The Atlantic.
About College Pathways
In August 2020, AI4ALL launched College Pathways, an initiative designed to spark interest and increase persistence in AI-related careers for college students. The College Pathways initiative fosters the development of historically excluded voices at the college level that will lead and shape the future of AI, including Black, Hispanic or Latinx, Indigenous, and Southeast Asian students, trans, non-binary, and female-identifying students, students with demonstrative financial need, first-generation college students, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer students.
One of the programs offered by College Pathways is Discover AI, is an online student-centered learning experience that exposes college students of varying academic and technical backgrounds to fundamental AI concepts through interactive discussions, conversations with AI experts, research, and hands-on assignments. Discover AI runs for 4 to 5 weeks.
About the Position
The Instructor, College Pathways will be responsible for executing the Discover AI course at two to three universities during Spring & Fall semesters in 2021 (mid-January – April/May and September – November), with the possible addition of Summer 2021. This is a part-time (10-20 hours per week) position, reporting to the Curriculum Manager, College Pathways. The Instructor can based anywhere in the U.S. given the virtual nature of the role.
The Instructor will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with Curriculum Manager to ensure that student learning goals and expectations are aligned to the AI4ALL’s Core Curriculum Approach,
- Supporting Curriculum Manager in developing or modifying curriculum materials in order to better meet the learning needs and interests of students,
- Implementing and teaching the Discover AI curriculum on college campuses (virtually),
- Contributing to the refining of the Discover AI instructional model through an iterative process that includes the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data,
- Managing the teaching assistants assigned to supporting Discover AI.
We’re seeking candidates with instructional design experience, technical expertise, and a desire to learn in a startup environment.
We’re excited to connect with candidates who have:
- A desire to increase diversity and inclusion in technology,
- A BS, MS, PhD, or at least 2-3 years work experience in Computer Science, AI, ML, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline,
- At least 2-3 years experience teaching and / or designing workshops, for high school and / or college age students, with a particular emphasis on hands-on and inclusive pedagogy,
- An understanding of university culture and the opportunities and challenges associated with developing programs for college students.
We’d prefer candidates who:
- Thrive in a fast-paced, startup environment,
- Work both independently and collaboratively,
- Have experience teaching students within the AI4ALL target student audience,
- Have experience applying active learning methodologies in the classroom.
AI4ALL is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process.