The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative community-based, non-profit health plans, and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for more than 21 million Americans across 34 states and the District of Columbia. Our members collaborate to identify problems, share information, and work toward solutions to health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of better health care nationally. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The Data Analytics fellowship requires a detail-oriented and enthusiastic individual interested in performance improvement, policy and data analysis, and in facilitating health care-related learning among ACHP’s member organizations. To be successful in this position, a candidate must be a self-starter, dedicated to delivering high-quality analytics products. The successful candidate will contribute to ACHP’s analytic activities supporting ACHP’s policy agenda through analytic products and building new and innovative ways to use data to serve our member organizations. The fellow (or Intern) should be interested in data analytics and health policy.
This fellowship affords a recent graduate the opportunity for rapid learning and growth. Drawing on strong quantitative skills, the graduate fellow will learn about health care economics, managed health care market landscape and related priorities, and quality measurement. This fellowship will provide an excellent foundation for a successful career in health care policy or health care analytics. Fellows will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the data analytics team.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The graduate fellow supports the ACHP Market Competitiveness team with advanced Excel-based analyses and SAS programming. Some of how the fellow will support the team include:
- Analyzing publicly available and member-reported datasets (e.g., CMS enrollment, CMS Star ratings CAHPS, HOS, HEDIS) to better understand quality, competitive managed care market landscape and business impacts.
- Using ACHP’s suite of databases, tools, and resources.
- Supporting analytic presentations to clearly and concisely convey insights for key internal and external audiences.
- Collaborating with advocacy team in communicating data and research findings.
- Support work groups that consist of senior leaders from member organizations.
- Work with ACHP’s data analytics team to continuously enhance our analytic offerings by identifying and implementing new data sources and analytic approaches.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, economics, computer science, business, or similar area of study required; Graduate degree in mentioned areas preferred.
- Quantitative skills that include the ability to create data visualizations, be facile with descriptive statistics, understand causative versus associative relationships and incorporate evaluations of various data collection methodologies into analytic assessments.
- Some experience with statistical, database and data visualization software including PPT, Python, Excel, SAS, and Tableau; ability to create AWS or SQL queries.
- Some familiarity with a variety of health care data sources, including HEDIS, CAHPS and CMS Medicare Advantage Star Ratings.
- 1-2 years of relevant health care experience or quantitative analysis preferred.
- The ability to manage and organize complex and detailed assignments.
- Excellent judgment, quality assurance and critical thinking skills.
- Confident and friendly verbal communication with a customer-focused mindset.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is in an office environment, unless altered by CEO or Vice President of Operations