Altus Group is looking for a new Real Estate Valuation Analyst to join our New York office in our Advisory, Altus Analytics division. In this position, you will gain knowledge and experience in the business of appraisal, appraisal review, and appraisal management for all property types. This is an exciting opportunity for you to learn the basic property types and how location and market trends impact values. You will also learn how to analyze an income and expense statement, research sale and lease comparables, read leases to understand tenant recovery structures, and build cash flows.
- Appraisal: Analysts learn the process and why we are doing what we are doing at Altus. Learn to prepare a market analysis for a property, which includes gathering and analyzing data about the market and submarket and determining market rent based on recent leases at comparable properties and at the subject. Analysts learn to apply judgment and gain knowledge on data gathering and learn to determine reasonable valuation assumptions such as market rent and market rent growth. This analysis is one of the key components in a valuation analysis.
- Learn to prepare cash flow models using ARGUS Enterprise. Analysts use factual data provided by clients (rent rolls, operating statements, tenant sales, and various other financial information) to learn the preparation of cash flow models.
- Learn to prepare the Sales Comparison and Cost approaches for an appraisal report, which includes researching recent sale transactions and completing a replacement cost estimate using Marshall and Swift data.
- Appraisal Review: Learn to review third-party appraisal reports as part of the valuation management process, which includes reviewing the ARGUS Enterprise cash flow model for factual and market assumptions, reviewing the appraisal reports, and comparing the valuation metrics to the benchmark data. Learn the use of best judgment and knowledge to determine the reasonableness of the valuation and ensure that the appraisal reports comply with USPAP and state regulations.
- Appraisal Management: Learn and handle the administrative tasks that drive the Altus/client process and ultimately the relationships: quarterly DataExchange Setup, appraiser/client call scheduling, quarterly invoicing, and engagement letter organization between clients and third-party appraisers.
- Training and Professional Development: Complete the On-Boarding Training as outlined by our Professional Development Flight Plan (Core Competency Training and Trainee Courses – Business Practices and Ethics & USPAP & Basic Appraisal Principles and Procedures) and become ARGUS Enterprise Certified.
- University or college degree in Real Estate, Finance, or related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA Internship experience within the CRE industry is an asset
- ARGUS Enterprise certified is an asset
- Working knowledge of Excel (v-lookups, pivot tables)
- Exposure to business writing
- Ability to proactively communicate (i.e. when behind on deliverables or seeking assistance) Experience working independently or within a team environment setting in a professional or academic setting