Alvarez & Marsal | Consumer and Retail Group (CRG)
Position: Summer Associate, CRG
Who we are:
Alvarez & Marsal is a leading independent global professional services firm, specializing in providing turnaround management, performance improvement and corporate advisory services. With more than 4,000 professionals based in 40 locations across North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America, our firm excels in problem solving and value creation.
A&M’s Consumer and Retail Group (CRG) focuses on both sides of the material disruption that is occurring in consumer facing industries. We serve public and private equity owned companies to help improve operating results, drive large-scale transformations and assist during M&A/carve-out activities. We bring a structured and disciplined approach to create and capture value. Our professionals within CRG promote the development of deep functional skills to maximize our ability to tailor solutions to solve our clients’ business issues.
CRG engagements range from holistic cross-functional transformations, functional performance improvement, interim management and M&A assistance with a clear focus on quickly identifying high impact opportunities for EBITDA expansion and drive shareholder/company value.
What we are seeking:
CRG is a growing business targeting high growth in the next 2-4 years. The ideal background for an Summer Associate position is one that possesses functional knowledge in consumer and/or retail sectors with consulting experience. We seek to assemble a team with creativity, intellectual curiosity and a wide range of passions and backgrounds.
We offer excellent opportunities for career advancement and building leadership skills. The CRG leadership team is focused on providing career development, training and exposure to international business assignments.
The Summer Associate program will run over 4-6 weeks with a rolling start/end date over the specified time period.
Exposure to consulting projects and / or interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Merchandising & Category Management
- Sales & Marketing effectiveness, processes, incentives
- Distribution & Logistics, Network Modeling
- Manufacturing and Contract Manufacturing
- Direct & Indirect Procurement
- SG&A cost reduction
- M&A: Divestitures/Carve-Outs and Integration
- Information Technology and Digital Improvements
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Access and Excel
- Ability to partner with team members through time-sensitive projects, structuring a work plan and managing processes to completion
- Superior analytical skills highly preferred
- Develop findings and make strategic recommendations
- Work with clients directly to implement strategic and operational recommendations
- Able to quickly articulate and communicates information, adapt effectively to audience
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Synthesize meaningful insights from data, opinions, or facts
- Structured project management (time, team and work-stream management)
- Ability to deliver time-pressured projects on-time and on-quality
- Flexible and creative thinking
- Client relationship focus with ability to understand culture, political environment, stakeholder agendas
- High energy style, flexible and adaptive with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated passion for Consumer & Retail through past internships/coursework (preferred but not required)
- Strong technical acumen and be comfortable working with complex data
- Experience with managing complex work streams and projects
- Build and drive the case for change on related work streams and projects
- Independently structure problem solving approaches and adapts quickly to changing direction
- Synthesize complex analysis and identifies implications with attention to detail
- Creative with the development of new tools, methodologies and approaches
- Advanced written communication skills, self-directed with preparation of client ready document and presentation development
- Able to quickly articulate and communicate information, adapt effectively to audience
- Open to +/- 80% travel M-F
Who will you be working with?
We are not a typical consulting firm. We are a group of entrepreneurial accounting professionals who embody the A&M Core Values – inclusive diversity, integrity, quality, objectivity, fun and personal reward while delivering a tailored and scalable approach to working with private equity, hedge fund, and corporate clients. We present you with opportunities, not a playbook, and we reward you based on performance, not your tenure.
How will you grow and be supported?
As a demonstration of A&M’s strong commitment to its people, we offer benefits to support your career, personal and professional developments. This includes performance-based career progression and promotion process, high quality practice-wide training programs, a global mobility program, rotation opportunities in other practice areas, employee resource groups, and a health and wellness program. Click here to learn about our commitment to your well-being.
A&M recognizes that our people fuel our growth, and you and your team will be provided with the best available training and development resources, as well as networking opportunities. Click here to learn more about why A&M is a great place to work.