At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
The Global Risk & Compliance Organization (“GRC”) ensures the company operates in a safe, sound and fully compliant manner within all applicable regulatory expectations. We create and maintain the overall risk management framework while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
We are passionate about our commitment to drive the Company’s goals of growth and progress by creating a culture of awareness and proactivity around regulatory matters, and by partnering closely with business units across the enterprise to ensure we deliver maximum value to our shareholders and our customers efficiently and effectively.
Global Risk and Compliance is comprised of four organizations.
· Risk: The Global Operational Risk & Oversight organization is responsible for managing AXPs “Risk Universe” through continuous reviewing, monitoring and testing across American Express processes. This team strengthens AXP’s risk management practices through the latest advances in data science and technology, staying apprised of changing regulatory landscape, and monitoring emerging risks across the industry. This team is responsible for overseeing Enterprise, Operational, Credit, Market, and Model Risk across the company and provides continuous updates to the AXP Chief Risk Officer.
· Compliance: The Global Compliance and Ethics organization plays a critical role in protecting the Company, our brand and colleagues through practical, solution-focused guidance on regulatory and ethics-related matters. A team of compliance officers work closely with the General Counsel’s Office, business units, staff groups, and risk professionals across the company to provide standards and guidance in the development, implementation and maintenance of comprehensive compliance programs and to promote a strong risk management culture.
· Privacy: The Global Privacy Team is responsible for providing strategic guidance, principles, and advice to manage privacy risks. The team focuses on driving and maintaining trust in the American Express brand through the creation of independent risk frameworks, policies, and practices that ultimately protect our customers’ personal information while driving transparency and fairness in how the Company uses data.
· Regulatory Exam Lifecycle Management: The Regulatory Exam Lifecycle Management team consists of strategic partners and a resource for our banks and the many business units at American Express that are implicated in regulatory oversight as they respond to exams and remediation. The team is responsible for managing American Express’ end-to-end lifecycle of exams and the remediation of both regulatory and self-identified risk management issues, including internally-driven gap assessments.
· Demonstrated experience building, sustaining, and leveraging relationships
· Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
· Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
· Ability to think strategically and influence teammates on multiple, cross-functional teams
· Positive, can-do attitude embracing Growth Mindset
· Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
· Proven ability to translate highly technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
· Superior Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
Preferred Additional Skills:
· Understanding and knowledge of bank laws and regulations, relevant compliance requirements, U.S. Bank systems and processes as well as related governance activities
· Knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance requirements, preferably relating to regulated financial institutions and/or consumer products and AML/ Anti-Corruption/BSA
· Experience with audit, compliance, risk, regulatory management, law, marketing and product management, finance, technologies or control related functions
· Experience with data and quantitative analytics
- Currently enrolled in full-time Bachelor’s degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023
- Location: New York City, NY/Phoenix, AZ/Salt Lake City, UT/Sunrise, FL
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
In order for your application to be considered, please complete the below steps:
1. Click on the link below and select “Apply”
2. Create a new username and password
3. Complete and submit your application
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf