The Computer Vision and Remote Sensing Group at Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is looking for applied scientists and engineers to join our team operating at the forefront of Remote Sensing technology applied to satellite imagery. We collaborate with world-renowned universities in computer vision, photogrammetry, and remote sensing to find innovative solutions to difficult real-world problems in United States Intelligence and Defense communities. Candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit who seek a research career within a stable industry work environment are highly encouraged to apply.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As of October 1, 2021, Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA), in compliance with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination at time of hire. If you cannot receive the COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability/medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, you will be asked to follow our process to request an accommodation.
Mid-Level Research Scientist, Remote Sensing Position Highlights:
- Design and implement algorithms written in Python and C++ to perform atmospheric correction, material classification, object segmentation, and change detection on multispectral satellite imagery of varying spatial resolutions
- Collaborate with world-renowned universities and a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and developers at ARA
- Opportunity for professional growth and strong mentorship
Mid-Level Research Scientist, Remote Sensing Required Qualifications:
- US citizenship required (green card holders are not eligible for this position)
- Eligibility to apply for and hold a U.S. security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
- MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Imaging Science, or similar technical field along with 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Experience with developing algorithms to exploit high-resolution imagery (e.g., WorldView, GeoEye, Planet Labs) and medium resolution imagery (e.g., LandSat-8, Sentinel-2)
- Programming experience in Python and/or C++
- Please see our similar career postings in the Computer Vision and Remote Sensing group for other experience levels (Staff, Senior).
- Team player with strong presentation and written/oral communication skills
Mid-Level Research Scientist, Remote Sensing Desirable Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Imaging Science, or similar technical field along with 1-3 years of relevant experience with demonstrating technical algorithm development
- Experience with algorithm development for aerial and drone imagery
- Experience developing geospatial applications
- Experience with Computer Vision techniques in image processing and photogrammetry
- Experience with machine learning algorithms including neural networks
- Experience working on intelligence and DoD programs
- Prior/existing security clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com/raleigh/