Arcsine is looking for a Junior Interior Designer with 2-3 years of experience related to hospitality, retail, workplace and large-scale mixed-use projects. Experience in residential is a plus.
Candidates should be self-motivated, professional, and demonstrate creative design thinking. Applicants must possess design aptitude, technical competence and ability to work on multiple concurrent projects. Candidates must exhibit personal responsibility and accountability and embrace open communication and team-oriented success.
Arcsine is an Oakland-based design and architecture firm that creates innovative and dynamic environments through a process called “Method Design.” Focused on hospitality and restaurant design, the firm prominently values its client relationships, leading to positive experiences driven by acute attention at every stage. By enabling strategic conversations with creatives and stakeholders at every level, Arcsine develops overall plans rooted in engrossing narratives. Taking on the character mindset of each project, Arcsine engages collaborators through a process stressing humility, collaboration, and transparency to deliver architecturally stunning, aesthetically immersive spaces.
Based in Alameda County, California, Arcsine conducts business in accordance with county COVID-19 guidelines. At the time of posting, this job will be a hybrid in-office/work-from-home position, and will change as determined by county-allowed in-person working at a given time. Currently masks are required for customers and employees who come into the office and when conducting business at job/construction sites. We try – and do – most of our work and meetings with various remote software platforms (Zoom, Slack, FaceTime, etc). Candidates should be prepared to speak to their successful usage of these tools. As the County permits more in-person work, our team will work in the office with pre-approved flexible work-from-home potential.
Interested candidates should send (by email) to Allison Fargo: design(at)arcsine.com
· brief cover letter
· curriculum vitae
· work sample (pdf, <5mb)
(Please indicate your availability in your cover letter)
Arcsine offers myriad employee financial, health, professional, and wellness benefits. Details will be shared during the interview process. When provided, interviews will be by Zoom; based on current County Health guidelines. If other accommodations are required, please cite this request in your cover letter.
RESPONSIBILITIES & JOB DESCRIPTION
A successful Junior Interior Designer will develop fundamental technical knowledge and mounting creative vision, working with moderate oversight, in hospitality-focused renovation and new build projects. Under the direction of Intermediate and Senior Designers, Director, and/or Principal in Charge; a Junior Interior Designer will successfully participate in developing concepts, proposing, and exploring design solutions through all phases of work from concept through construction administration. They must exhibit personal responsibility and accountability, embracing open communication and team-oriented success.
Proficient Junior Interior Designer at Arcsine:
- Under the direction of senior staff, participates in developing a project concept and strategy for both large and small projects, and follows direction that meet both the client’s vision and budget
- With direction & oversight, develops visual presentation material that clearly communicates design ideas to client and that is in line with project contracts and scope of work
- With oversight, budgets for, sources and specifies appropriate FF&E and finishes for projects, both for independent and brand-based projects
- Under the direction of senior team members, prepares budgets and FF&E matrices for hospitality guestroom projects
- Develops and works with senior team members to execute overall artwork concepts
- With direction from senior team members, designs and details custom furniture, lighting and millwork. Prepares tagged furniture installation plans and custom drawings in coordination with architectural and consultant drawings.
- Shows proficiency in studying modeling and/or perspective hand sketches to quickly describe a space and design intent
- Participates in the production of detailed construction drawing sets in conjunction with the Architectural and Consultant teams demonstrating understanding of the drawing/documentation process. This includes but is not limited to hotel guestrooms, public areas, and restaurant projects.
- Under the direction of the senior staff, participates in construction administration phase by accurately reviewing and approving GC/PA submittals, RFIs, procurement coordination and responding to general project inquiries demonstrating growing knowledge of this process.
- With supervision, participates in on-site meetings with Owner, Consultants or Contractor for coordination, construction and/or FF&E installation
Strong Team Member:
- With moderate oversight, engage in client correspondence, clearly communicating (written and verbal) project progress, needs and issues.
- Showcases professionalism in interfacing with clients, consultants, vendors and internal staff
- Shows basic understanding of and adheres to project scope of work documents, differentiation documents and project schedules
- Attends team meetings and is able to monitor individual deliverables against task lists and the project contract
- Reviews weekly staffing, completes work, and makes adjustment based on deliverable progress after discussing conflicts with senior team members
- Completes work within allocated time and/or notifies senior staff as needed. Meets key milestones and deadlines consistently.
- When appropriate, proposes appropriate design solutions, materials and details that meet project appropriateness
- Under the direction of the others, attend design presentations to clients, observing how others effectively communicate vision, programming, and design details
- Typically have 2-3 years of experience in Hospitality Design. Hotel and Restaurant experience is a preferred.
- Bachelors’ degree or MA in Interior Design or related field from an accredited school. Experience in residential is a plus.
- Demonstrated software proficiency including AutoCAD, Revit, Sketch Up and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to sketch and draw by hand
- Experience working in Spexx is a plus
- Ability to work independently and effectively meet deadlines