Lighting Consulting Intern- Available June 2021
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you’ll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Lighting calculations (Architectural and Daylighting)
- Produce lighting modeling including building computer and physical models (3-D and 2-D)
- Assign circuitry for Power and Lighting devices
- Report writing
- Working on projects using 3D AutoCAD
- Giving structure to ideas – lots of “taking a first pass” at spreadsheets, reports and analyses for discussion later rather than instruction
- Attending meetings and learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
- Working with people from other disciplines and/or vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects
- Attending meetings – listening, asking questions. Be involved in discussions with other disciplines and Architects to gain knowledge & experience.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Architectural or Interior Design, Lighting, or Architectural Engineering
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- Core interest in the lighting design industry with an emphasis on the daylighting or Architectural lighting design
- MS word, Excel, AGI 32 etc.
- Proven interest in the built-environment
- Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity
- Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Architectural or Interior Design, Lighting or Architectural Engineering
- 3.5 GPA or higher
- Coursework in Architectural or Lighting Systems Design, and / or Building Systems Design
- Internship experience in a consulting firm with emphasis on electrical design
- Academic research or testing with relevant focus
- Membership in IEEE, IES
- Experience with AutoCAD and Radiance
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- Proven ability to perform in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
- Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
- Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
- WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
- Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
- Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
- Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Queen’s Way West Revitalization, Canada
- Agora Convention Centre in Bogota
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.