Mission Statement: “To empower and inspire people of all communities to identify, pursue and sustain healthy, meaningful lives”.
MHAW strives to develop an authentic, diverse workforce that embraces, creates, respects and demonstrates diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in the work environment, towards one another and those we serve. We recognize that our agency is strongest when we all embrace the full spectrum of diversity and experience. We actively seek to employ a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve.
MHAW is a pro-vaccination agency, and has required all staff to be fully vaccinated by November 1, 2021 and encourages service recipients to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
The Case Manager for the Suffolk County United Veterans (SCUV) Emergency Shelter Program is a member of the SCUV team. The Shelter Case Manger works under the direct supervision of the Shelter Veteran Social Worker. Residents served at the Veterans Place Emergency Shelter Program may consist of homeless Veterans and Non- Veteran clients. The Shelter Case Manager’s responsibilities rest within the framework of direct service to enrolled and potentially enrolled residents of The Veterans Place Emergency Shelter Program and operate in a manner consistent with SCUV’s overall mission: “To assist homeless Veterans to regain their dignity and independence and sustain healthy, meaningful lives.”
· To establish supportive, helping relationships with a caseload of residents who have significant housing, employment, medical and or behavioral health concerns
· To utilize supervision and other training opportunities to develop and improve skills in rehabilitative case management
· To participate as a member of the Veterans Place social work team offering thoughts and insights to promote understanding of resident needs and offer suggestions to support self-sufficiency to the Disposition and shelter teams
· To respond flexibly and with a sense of priorities to the varying needs of the SCUV program as defined and directed by the MHAW Director of Veterans Services, the SCUV Director and the Veterans Place Social Worker so as to ensure that the needs of the residents and the agency as a whole are best served
Direct Service Responsibilities:
· To skillfully conduct intake, assessment and service goal planning within required time frames using an empowerment approach
· To consistently provide service coordination and crisis intervention as needed and directed
· To assist clients to access and utilize services in the community including mental and physical health care, substance abuse treatment, housing programs, educational and vocational programs and supportive resources as appropriate to the residents expressed needs
· To work with residents to obtain benefits and resources from the Veterans Administration, Department of Social Services and Social Security Administration
· To complete proper and compliant documentation of services
· To submit monthly housing logs, shelter obligation reports and all such documentation as needed by the MHAW Accounting Department and the Department of Social Services
· To understand and respect the personal privacy of residents and to maintain the confidentiality of their HIPAA protected information
· To ensure policies and procedures of SCUV and The Veterans Place in particular are being carried out in accordance with MHAW and OTDA guidelines
· To attend and participate in weekly Disposition and Staff Meetings
· To make use of and to account for the use of petty cash funds in an effective, thorough, and timely manner