The R&D Analyst Trainee position will assist Baseball Operations decision-making through the analysis and research of baseball information. The day-to-day responsibilities of this position will revolve around using data analysis to provide insight into player evaluation, performance projection, roster construction, and all other facets of baseball operations decision making, with an emphasis on different areas of baseball operations depending on the baseball calendar and needs of the department. Ideal candidates will have a strong, demonstrated ability to answer wide-ranging research questions using data-driven methods. The position will report to Assistant General Manager, Research and Development.
Note: Applicants for full-time, full-season trainee, and summer intern (May-August) will be considered.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large datasets in order to assist in the decision making of the Baseball Operations department
- Develop and maintain models, software, reports, or any other information system developed during research
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested and present results in a concise manner
- Strong foundation in the application of statistical concepts to baseball data, including familiarity with current state of baseball research
- Experience with (or clear ability to learn) SQL and relational databases
- Experience with statistical modeling software (Python or R preferred)
- Ability to communicate technical findings to individuals with diverse baseball backgrounds (ability to create effective data visualizations is a plus)
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends as dictated by the Major League season
- Must complete a successful background check
- Demonstrated statistical research in the sports analytics field
- Ability to and desire to learn other programming languages as needed
The Atlanta National League Baseball Club, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. A diverse workforce representing varied backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences is key to delivering on our business promise to our fans and the communities we serve. All qualified candidates are welcome to apply.
If you are disabled as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act and require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete your online application, including making a change to the application process, please contact our Human Resources team at PeopleCapital@braves.com
Please note that the Atlanta Braves and all affiliated locations are currently operating under COVID-19 protocols, to include the mandatory use of a face covering by all persons while on property. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be directed to PeopleCapital@braves.com.