Work-from-Home Position, Fall 2020 and/or Spring 2021, Unpaid Internship:
Rather than the coffee-fetching and file-organizing of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience in the nonprofit sector by participating in ongoing research via conducting one-on-one interviews of non-profit executives, learning how to recording research results in a structured way, analyzing data to uncover market opportunities, contributing to process improvement, and other potential consulting training upon your interests and skills.
This internship is the first of a four-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software:
- Management Consulting Internship Part 1: Market Research & Interview Techniques for Customer Discovery
- Management Consulting Internship Part 2: Data Analytics, Return-On-Investment Analysis, and Strategic Advising
- Management Consulting Internship Part 3: Sales of Consulting and Agency Services (includes opportunities to earn commissions)
- Management Consulting Internship Part 4: Management of People and Services (includes opportunities to earn commissions)
Your involvement in our research can directly help nonprofits around the world better understand their own marketing strategies and the method by which to develop better ones. In helping to build upon existing research to find the best way to share ideas and explore the realm of nonprofit marketing, you can help nonprofits on larger scale than by interning for one nonprofit. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside professionals in the nonprofit field and to join them in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Your name can be on authored projects that have the potential to be published to hundreds of thousands of nonprofit executives. This means a chance to be publicly and professionally recognized for your contributions.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
Bashpole supports networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. Build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with executive directors in a wide range of nonprofit organizations varying by size, location, and mission.
- Potentially, this high-powered networking could lead to future employment and business connections with nonprofit professionals long after your internship.
Our Rules-of-Thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
The internship provides the opportunity to assemble work for a portfolio, which can later be used to pursue other opportunities.
- Need school-credit for the internship? We’re also willing to support applications for scholarships for students participating in an internship.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Your research will contribute to both our mission to help nonprofits and the nonprofits themselves to better aid their communities. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a nonprofit organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), the National Science Foundation (NSF), and sales of services to nonprofits. For more information please visit https://idgrants.com/ and https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
Preferred Skills to Have or Develop:
- Write and speak to nonprofit executives
- Schedule, conduct, and follow-up on interviews as primary research in a prompt and reliable fashion
- Deepen a genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Connect with both your coworkers and interview subjects with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- Average time commitment of 2 to 4 hours per weekday
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with important executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts.