Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Rolling Start Dates, Full-time over Summer 2021, 3-4 Month Commitment, Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching and file-organizing of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience in the nonprofit sector by both working with and performing researching related to a wide variety of non-profits from across the United States… and many other potential avenues of contribution based upon your interests and skills. The duration and time commitment of this internship will be flexible to fit your class schedules.
Real Experience: Bashpole Software offers interns a rare opportunity for management consulting experience. At large consulting firms such opportunities are competitive and have long learning curves. Interns will help nonprofits get necessary publicity in these times of turmoil, helping more people through RoI analysis and strategy recommendations than could be achieved as a volunteer for any single nonprofit. These recommendations will be applied across traditional and new platforms for a variety of nonprofits, meaning the interns’ work will be used by real people in the real world. This practical application is meant to bridge the gap between an intern’s university learning and workplace reality.
Thoughtful Mentorship: Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work in small teams of typically 3 to 5 interns with direct supervision and mentorship on a weekly basis from either the company’s CEO, senior staff members, interns who have held this position before, or all of the above.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Season 1.A: Interview Executives for Market Research & Customer Discovery
- Season 1.B: Management Consulting Internship: Competitive Research, Strategy, and Messaging
- Season 2.A: Data Analytics, Return-On-Investment Analysis, and Strategic Advising
- Season 2.B: Agency and Consulting Service Sales
- Season 3: Management of People and Services
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience: Your name can be on authored projects that have the potential to be published to hundreds of thousands of nonprofit executives. This means a chance to be publicly and professionally recognized for your contributions.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
Network with Peers, Mentors, & More: Bashpole supports networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. Build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with executive directors in a wide range of nonprofit organizations varying by size, location, and mission.
- Potentially, this high-powered networking could lead to future employment and business connections with nonprofit professionals long after your internship.
Portfolio: With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications.
Credit: If you want work-study or school-credit for the internship, we can provide the kind of oversight your university would require. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Workplace Readiness Training: There are a variety of corporate culture and communication soft skills that many organizations expect you to know but few universities or companies actually provide training for. So, we’ve developed something unique: our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional etiquette straight from hard-learned experiences of industry professionals. We’re developing a book and a training system for expressly teaching this kind of advice to our employees, our interns, and eventually to others that will be valuable for your future career.
Testimonials: Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
Make a Difference: Unlike with your classroom experiences, your work here will be with real people on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone. Interns will also contribute to our training documents and leave a legacy for future interns.
About Us: Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Analyze the data on nonprofit investment to find trends that lead to successful returns, such as ascertaining the tax returns of prospective organizations
- Find similarities between successful nonprofits and track trends that have shown results
- Make specific recommendations to nonprofits so as to improve their returns
- Work with software engineers to build further algorithms that make data analytics easier
- Participate in a remote-learning environment, assisting nonprofits during the COVID pandemic with advertising their causes
- Build a strong network with other interns while socially distanced
- choose their own nonprofits, allowing for flexibility in their scheduling and decision-making
- Attend regular meetings to prevent isolation and facilitate regular collaboration
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Statistics / Analytics
- Experience with Google Suite, including Google Sheets
- Deepen a genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Connect with both your coworkers and interview subjects with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in ascertaining return on investment.