Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Rolling Start Dates, Full-time over Summer 2021, 3-4 Month Commitment, Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching and file-organizing of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience in the nonprofit sector by both working with and performing researching related to a wide variety of non-profts from across the United States… and many other potential avenues of contribution based upon your interests and skills. The duration and time commitment of this internship will be flexible to fit your class schedules.
Real Experience: Your involvement in our advertising work and research can directly help nonprofits around the world better understand their own marketing strategies and the method by which to develop better ones. In helping to build upon existing research to find the best way to share ideas and explore the realm of nonprofit marketing, you can help nonprofits on larger scale than by interning for one nonprofit. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside professionals in the nonprofit field and to join them in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
Thoughtful Mentorship: Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work in small teams of typically 3 to 5 interns with direct supervision and mentorship on a weekly basis from either the company’s CEO, senior staff members, interns who have held this position before, or all of the above.
This internship is the first of a three-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 1.A: Promoting Good Causes with Google Ads
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 1.B: Graphic Design for Web, Digital Presentations, and Marketing
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 1.C: UI/UX for Web Applications and Mobile Apps
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 2.A: Advertising Analytics Tools Mastery
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 2.B: Fundraising Research, Experimentation, and Process Improvement
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 2.C: SEO & Multichannel Content Creation
- Marketing Consulting for Non-profits Internship Season 3: Team Management
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience: Your name can be on authored projects that have the potential to be published to hundreds of thousands of nonprofit executives. This means a chance to be publicly and professionally recognized for your contributions.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
Network with Peers, Mentors, & More: Bashpole supports networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. Build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with executive directors in a wide range of nonprofit organizations varying by size, location, and mission.
- Potentially, this high-powered networking could lead to future employment and business connections with nonprofit professionals long after your internship.
Your work will be used by real people in the real world. This practical application is meant to bridge the gap between an intern’s university learning and workplace reality.
Portfolio: With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
Credit: Moreover, if you want work-study or school-credit for the internship, we can provide the kind of oversight your university would require. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Workplace Readiness Training: There are a variety of corporate culture and communication soft skills that many organizations expect you to know but few universities or companies actually provide training for. So, we’ve developed something unique: our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional etiquette straight from hard-learned experiences of industry professionals. We’re developing a book and a training system for expressly teaching this kind of advice to our employees, our interns, and eventually to others that will be valuable for your future career.
Testimonials: Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
Make a Difference: Unlike with your classroom experiences, your work here will be with real people on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone. Interns will also contribute to our training documents and leave a legacy for future interns.
About Us: Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Analyze the success of Google Ads in promoting nonprofits, as well as factors preventing more nonprofits from taking advantage of it
- Work with a specific set of nonprofits and create advertisements to promote their services
- Create ad campaigns to manage viewership, engagement, and assess reports on ads and ad campaigns. See the actual results of running ads that they created on the Google Ads platform, with numbers that represent how much they’ve helped good causes
- Learn a methodology, creating ads using a repeatable process for improving ads over time
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Write and speak to nonprofit executives
- Schedule, conduct, and follow-up on tasks related to creating and assessing Google Ads for non-profits
- Deepen a genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Connect with both your coworkers and interview subjects with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with important executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts. There may also be opportunities to earn commissions from follow-up sales.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in writing ad campaigns.
Bashpole Software, Inc. complies with all US Department of Labor Federal Internship Guidelines. https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm