Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns will gain useful experience in process management; organizational architecture, goals, and leadership through interaction with Bashpole Software experts. Interns will also have access to formal documentation and, by association, actions occurring across the company. Interns will participate in consistent group action, learning process management from experts in Bashpole Software.
Bashpole Software offers interns a rare opportunity for management consulting experience. Very few companies or organizations have programs that train interns to lead teams. Season 3 interns at Bashpole will be trained to manage and actually manage interns from earlier Seasons. They will also expand and update our training processes. In turn, through the work of the people they train and manage, they will benefit a variety of in-house staff members, future interns, and nonprofits. Our interns’ work will be used by real people in the real world. This practical application is meant to bridge the gap between an intern’s university learning and workplace reality.
This internship is the third of a three-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 1: Proposal Writing & Technical Writing
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 2: Business Development with Decision Makers
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 3: Team Management
You cannot apply to skip Season 1. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 1 and a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Bashpole Software is preparing partner with nonprofits and apply for grants to support software development.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
- We also encourage students to apply for scholarships for participating in our internship.
Training Beyond the Core Subject:
Our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Your research will be with real data on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
Be responsible for managing interns from Seasons 1 and 2. Their responsibilities will consist of the following:
- Continually learn new skills by taking leadership positions among interns within the company. Interns will improve upon structures by using proposal writing and business development skills
- Practice skills for running meetings, tracking others progress, and learning how to motivate their teams
- Improving the training processes for interns
- Handling questions and concerns
- Reporting to senior management
- Assisting with recruitment of new interns (including interviews)
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Deepen a genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Ability to communicate effectively with all members of the team
- Ability to create documents for team management
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Connect with both your coworkers and interview subjects with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with important executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship.
Interns are eligible to earn bonuses for excellent work. For grants and contract and contract award projects, interns should expect payment of such bonuses to take several months