The Registered Nurse cares for the physical and behavioral health needs of population with serious mental illness (SMI) and substance use disorder (SUD). This position is an active member of the multi-disciplinary team that provides therapy, case management, peer and recovery support, and medical and support to our consumers, especially pregnant and post-partum women with SUD
Licensed Register Nurse, active in the state of Pennsylvania required. At least one (1) year experience in a behavioral health setting required. Valid PA Driver’s License required. Bilingual: English/Spanish a plus. Knowledge of or experience with trauma-informed approaches preferred.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of psychiatric and medical conditions and how they intersect.
· Knowledge and understanding of trauma and how it impacts others.
· Skill in active listening and collaborative communication.
· Skill in being able to assist consumers in accessing appropriate healthcare within the community and utilizing community resources to meet their needs
· Skilled in active engagement of resistant consumers.
· Skilled in organizing tasks, managing competing priorities, problem solving and conflict resolutions
· Skill in time management and ability to maintain required direct service hours.
· Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team in meeting the physical and behavioral health needs of the population we serve.
· Ability to demonstrate a commitment to the provision of compassionate, patient-centered care supportive of the patient’s own goals and motivated toward positive health outcomes.
· Ability to engage in honest, transparent and respectful interactions with others.
· Ability to act with integrity and work from a place of empathy and compassion.
· Knowledge of the needs of a pregnant and post-partum woman with SUD.
Essential Job Functions
1. Completes both psychiatric and physical health screenings for clients.
2. Works collaboratively with the psychiatric providers, Mat provider, and community physicians in meeting the health and behavioral health needs consumers.
3. Administers medication including injectable medication.
4. Provides consultation on medication health issues and collaborate with the psychiatric providers, MAT provider, and other internal and external team members in the management of medications and all pertinent services
5. Provides timely, accurate documentation.
6. Participates in bi-weekly organizational meetings or other meetings as needed
7. Participates in the development of policies and procedures related to health, medication, and psychiatric care.
8. Manages pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
9. Educates Consumer and team members regarding substance abuse, medications, and health and wellness issues.
10. Assists in the overall team case management, counseling, and support functions.
11. Provides assistance and support to the psychiatrist/physicians in meeting the overall health and behavioral needs of clients receiving psychiatric evaluation and medication management including prior authorizations for medications as needed.
12. Communicates regularly with other medical staff and clinical staff regarding patient health care and medication needs.
13. Works closely with insurance companies, funding sources, pharmacies, laboratories, and hospitals related to patient medication concerns or discharge planning.
14. Educates, counsels and supports patients in relation to their behavioral health and physical health and wellness care. Reinforce policies and procedures that promotes the behavioral and physical health and wellness of patients.
15. Provides in-home, community, hospital, and transitional care supports/interventions to patients involved in project as needed.
16. Maintains accurate and timely information in the electronic health record (EHR) and support the mission of meaningful use measures.
17. Serves as a consultant to clinical staff on medication, health, and safety concerns.
18. Provides staff training on health issues, including HIV/AIDS/TB and other infectious diseases to the organization’s established group programs.
19. Serves on BCC’s committees in regard to health and safety needs.
20. Provides timely response to patient’s calls regarding medication issues, problems, concerns, or questions.
21. Assists clinic operation with attaining patient’s Temperature, Pulse, Respiration, Weight, Body Mass Index (BMI) and injections.
22. Flexible hours – morning/afternoon (early evening) shifts. There is an expectation of flexible work hours based on client needs. Includes on call duties as needed.
23. Demonstrates good working knowledge and use of technology.
24. Develop an understanding of trauma and how it impacts others.
25. Incorporate trauma informed practices into job duties and responsibilities, including interactions and communications with others.
26. Be an active member of BCC’s culture of caring through positive and engaging social interactions.
27. Performs all other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.