Residential Youth Counselor – Bilingual (English/Spanish) – Part-time
Requisition #: req3399
Location: Modesto, CA
Hours: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Bethany Christian Services strengthens and equips families to be the answer for vulnerable children, both in local communities and around the globe. We do this by protecting children, empowering youth, and strengthening families through quality social services. Thousands of children are in need of the support and safety that comes from being part of a family. Bethany is on the front line of providing solutions.
As a Residential Youth Specialist, you will be primarily responsible for providing care and supervising residents in the program. This individual will serve as a resident advocate for assigned residents, while also ensuring that residents’ developmental needs are met within a safe and supportive environment that enhances their ability to meet their treatment goals. The Youth Specialist will oversee the resident’s safety as well as the community at large. This individual will develop therapeutic, professional relationships with residents and offer insight into their functioning and participation in program.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participant in assigned activities and encourage positive interaction and growth amongst the residents;
- Attend bi-monthly meetings with supervisor to discuss job performance, and/or issues or concerns;
- Successful follow the treatment guidelines by intervening in a caring and consistent manner, when the need arises;
- Promptly conduct the nonviolent crisis prevention intervention (CPI) procedure, when necessary;
- Oversee the residents’ daily routines to include but not limited to meal time, study time, outings, bedtime, assigned jobs, and other residential activities;
- Serve as a residential advocate by presenting social history at staff meeting following admission as well as legal history, family history, psychological history, school history, and identify and issues or behaviors that would warrant attention in the treatment;
- Provide residential advocacy at staff meetings by updating the team on information related to current level, length of time on that level, date of placement, length of stay, goal attainment percentages from the prior 4 weeks, school progress report, think tank or room restriction time, incident reports, assessment of overall functioning, interaction with peers and staff, and recommendation for new or revised treatment goals;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Must be at least 21 years of age to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have an ability to provide excellent and compassionate customer service;
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high level of confidentiality;
- Must be reliable with time sensitive deadlines and tasks; • Have the ability to serve as positive role model;
- Demonstrated ability to nurture and provide structure, support, and respect to others;
- Must be able to pass required medical examinations and have the physical ability to fulfill the essential job functions, including physical restraints of a resident;
- Successfully pass an annual TB test and document preference to receive or decline Hepatitis immunization;
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Active motor vehicle license;
- Maintain a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, and Cultural Diversity Commitment.