Blackbird is a San Francisco based digital software studio that specializes in the art of successfully launching and optimizing high-impact software products for a wide variety of public and private sector clients. We’ve launched music industry disruption startups, products for Fortune 50 funded innovation labs, consumer-facing social giving apps, research-driven programs for infant cognitive development, and many, many more. We collaborate directly with customers and through partnerships with some of the top design studios in the world.
We’re looking for an ambitious Business Development Associate excited about playing a critical role in our next major phase of growth and evolution as a company – gain valuable experience working directly with Blackbird Partners on strategic relationships/projects/overall business growth and collaborating with an awesome team of smart people and veteran leadership with a history of success. Our long-term vision and hope is for a successful candidate in this role to grow into a cornerstone of Blackbird’s success and a strategic leader within the company.
Blackbird is very different from typical software consulting companies. We specialize in a holistic approach to launching new software products inspired by Human Centered Design and Lean UX. We partner with top innovation and design firms (like IDEO) to bring startup best practices in launching ambitious new products into the market. Because we operate in very strategic, leadership relationships with our clients, we have a unique opportunity to constantly deep-dive into understanding our clients’ businesses and expand an ever-growing pool of career-long relationships and insights, while getting to design/build/launch/evolve new software products from the ground up. Our partnerships with world-class design agencies provides us with a steady stream of ambitious, multi-disciplinary, and high-impact work that keeps us at the cutting edge of startup and digital product best practices.
Ideal candidates have:
- Exceptional writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and a methodical goal achievement approach
- High EQ ability to listen, empathize, and read between the lines in understanding motivations
- Aptitude for (and interest in) forming and growing strategic, career-long relationships
- Known self-starter ready to take new challenges head on
- Indomitable drive to succeed by thinking creatively to overcome obstacles
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (ideal for recent graduates)
- Bonus points: experience with and passion for tech startups, product management, design, and development process, client services or consulting, business development and sales
Scope of Role:
- Collaborate with Partners to refine existing and define new growth strategies
- Manage sales pipeline to ensure we’re responding professionally, methodically, and impressively, and make sure deals move forward efficiently and successfully
- Prepare proposals, presentations, case studies, and other sales collateral, refining and presenting with Partners and other Blackbird leaders
- Manage ongoing improvement in sales and marketing collateral (website, brand, capabilities decks, case studies, etc)
- Strategically manage outreach programs to make sure we’re constantly expanding and deepening our list of existing and potentially valuable connectors, clients, and partners
If you think this might be a good fit for you, we’re excited to hear from you! Blackbird is a genuinely great place to work with an awesome team, respectful culture, amazing learning opportunities, clear career growth path, an exciting mission, and a sane work-life balance.
- Your resume and cover letter
- A writing sample or analogous representation of your writing skills (ideally a proposal of some kind for a project/grant, or something that represents a conceptual vision and plan for execution of an idea). Please include it as an attachment or link.
- Please submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must be legally able to work in the US
- Remote from Western US, with travel within the US occasionally required (post-COVID)
Be sure to call out any experience with startups, design, software development, product management, sales, consulting, or client management.