Overview: Boston Outdoor Preschool Network builds joyful communities connected to each other and to their outdoor environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. Our programs are located on the grounds of the Arnold Arboretum (Boston) and Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Wellesley).
Intern Role: To assist with teaching children ages 2.9 – 6 years under the supervision of Lead Teachers and our Internship Program Manager
Schedule and Hours:
Dates: July 5 through August 27
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Location: outdoors at the Arnold Arboretum (Boston) OR Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Wellesley)
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while promoting respect and building community
· Assist the Lead Teacher(s) to be responsible for the health and safety of each child. This includes helping children stay comfortable in various weather conditions and managing risk in an outdoor setting
· Use a nature-based and play-based approach
· Gracefully and professionally communicate with teachers, parents, and the wider community
· Attend an orientation and meet with our Internship Program Manager, Teri, to set goals for the internship. Participate in weekly check-ins, a mid-point meeting, and final meeting.
· With guidance from Teri, design and lead a project related to early childhood education and/or environmental education
· Attend occasional professional development events related to outdoor early childhood education
· Maintain regular attendance and punctuality
· Strong interest in exploring the field of nature-based early childhood education
· Curiosity about the natural world and ability to convey a sense of awe and wonder to the children
· Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
· Ability to hike while carrying supplies
- Internships are unpaid.
- Background checks and references are required.
- While BOPN has a friendly relationship with the Arboretum, we are separate organizations and the Arboretum is not involved with organizing or operating BOPN’s programs.