BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community. BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC is building Brooklyn’s creative future.
The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival is NYC’s longest-running, free performance festival, and a beloved summer tradition featuring approximately 30 varied performances and attracting upwards of 200,000 people each summer to the Prospect Park Bandshell.
About the Development Intern Role:
BRIC seeks a Development Intern to support the Development & Membership team by contributing to all aspects of development, membership, special events, and administration for the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival. This includes extensive involvement in executing the Friends membership campaign, which attracts upwards of 1,000 individuals and small businesses, and the Opening Night Gala, which is attended by 600 business and government decision-makers, community leaders, and individual donors. The Development & Membership Intern will get the chance to experience the entire BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival season in the company of its strongest community supporters.
● Learn various aspects of nonprofit fundraising including managing membership programs, event planning, stewardship, and cultivation.
● Learn how to advance skills in onsite customer service and communication with members, donors, government officials and other key organizational stakeholders.
● Learn how to effectively track and maintain donor data and attendance to ensure increased engagement and retention.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The Development Intern will gain experience by assisting and coordinating in the following areas as well as any other project assigned by their manager, the Senior Development Manager:
● Provide support to Development Team on all development, membership, and Gala-related projects
● Be onsite at every performance to assist with onsite member check-in at concerts, as well as maintenance and organization of the Friends Tent
● Assist with Gala and Membership mailings and benefit fulfillment
● Assist with processing of Gala and membership donations
● Assist with onsite special events, including Opening Night Gala, After-Party, and Friends membership events
● Assist with preparation & execution of Business Friend promotions in Friends Tents
● Organize and maintain membership lists and files
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
● Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
● Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Desire to operationalize equity within the Development Intern function.
● Bachelors degree or currently pursuing degree in a related field
● Some experience with development, membership programs, data entry, and/or event planning and execution is preferred
● Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software, Microsoft Office, and/or social media platforms is desirable, as is knowledge of and a keen interest in music and the performing arts
● Must be self-directed and proactive, highly organized, computer literate, outgoing, and able to think on your feet
● Must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
● Must be excited to work on administrative office tasks and to engage with the public with utmost professionalism
Other Things to Know:
● Schedule & Location: June – September, 2-3 days per week in office (flexible based on individual’s schedule). Must be available to work all performances – including weekend nights (30 performances June-August, primarily Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights).
● Academic Credit and or Food/Transportation allowance: Academic Credit may be arranged. Onsite dinner during events and transportation benefit provided.
● Mission & Values: BRIC is committed to building Brooklyn’s creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.
How to Apply:
All applicants must submit a resume together with a cover letter outlining the ways in which their skills and experience align with our specific needs via our online application portal found here Candidates of color and from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
BRIC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.