Founded in 1866, Brooklyn Community Services (BCS) empowers children and families to reach their full potential, strengthen families, and foster self-sufficiency in adults. With programs in 25 locations, BCS serves more than 12,000 individuals a year.
The position of Beacon Director is a critical, visible position requiring exceptional leadership, strong management experience and a successful track record of working with government contracts and nonprofit organizations providing social services. The Director should be highly flexible in dealing with the challenges of developing new programs and working to meet the needs of the community.
The Director should have experience with community-based services for youth, children and families, including working with participants in school based programs. The Director should have proven ability to manage a professional staff and interact with the community. She must be a hands-on strategic thinker, a planner and problem solver, prepared to lead and direct staff through change and program development. Excellent communication skills are critical. The Director must be comfortable communicating with the people who receive services and their families, and equally comfortable in training staff, presenting before elected officials, public agency administrators and members of the community.
- Reports to Deputy Director of BCS Youth Development Division;
- Supervision and coverage for direct reports: Assistant Directors, Groups Leaders, Youth Leaders, Office Manager, Activity Specialists; Provide On-Site coverage for staff when needed; Oversees the day-to-day activities/events of the center;
- Develop educational and recreational summer and school year programming in accordance with DYCD and DOH/SACC guidelines; Ensure programs are effective and designed to achieve measurable goals in line with BCS mission and DYCD contractual obligations;
- Direct contact and reporting to DYCD Program Manager, oversight responsibility of DYCD Site/Audit visits, and attendance at DYCD Director meetings;
- Oversee and monitor DYCD database to ensure program is meeting contract compliance reporting, enrollment numbers and rates of participation, including pulling weekly ROP/ADA and enrollment reports to review in supervision with program staff and Deputy Director;
- Engage and monitor all Co-locator and Sub-contractor relationships for Beacon site;
- Plan, implement and support all recruitment, enrollment, retention and referral efforts of Beacon participants to ensure contractual requirements are met;
- Coordinate and attend all advisory board meetings; Coordinate and ensure compliance with all Youth Council meetings
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment ensuring budget mandates are followed
- Recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling, performance evaluations and payroll for all Beacon program staff;
- Experience with effective management of crisis intervention, handling mental health and medical issues with participants and working with people with histories of trauma.
- Develop and implement staff professional development workshops responsive to youth and community needs.
- Participate in cross agency working groups and committees to achieve agency goals; attend training seminars, division staff meetings, and community meetings as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development or Elementary Education with strong management experience (5 years or more) required; MSW, or equivalent Master’s Degree, preferred
- Excellent leadership, communication, supervisory and team-building skills, including the ability to motivate, align staff efforts to changing priorities and approaches, set goals, delegate responsibilities, and manage staff performance to ensure effective service delivery in accordance with organizational goals and program contracts.
- Must be eligible for SACC certification
- Proficient in typing; responding to emails, and phone calls
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office; Google Docs; Spreadsheets; and Calendar Development
Brooklyn Community Services benefits package includes:
- 23 vacation days and 12 sick days annually
- Health insurance with very low monthly contributions
- Dental and vision insurance
- 403(B) retirement plan
- Life insurance 100% paid by employer
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Wellness programs for staff