What’s the Recent Graduates Program?
The Recent Graduates Program affords participants developmental experiences at CMS intended to promote possible careers to individuals who have recently graduated within the previous two years from qualifying educational institutions. This one-year paid program is designed to provide an opportunity to those individuals who lack experience to participate in Federal government jobs, enabling them to develop on the job as they establish their career.
A huge perk of this program is that upon successful completion of the one-year program, you are eligible for conversion to a position with a GS-12 full-performance level.
About the role:
What is a Health Insurance Specialist (HIS)? At CMS, an HIS can wear many hats. This series typically works within health insurance policy development, research, analysis, and program development.
What you’ll do:
- Resolve health insurance program issues by conducting research on the problem area, analyzing the results and making recommendations to management to resolve any problem areas.
- Engage with senior analysts and management in reviewing, analyzing, and developing program documents.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze health insurance programs for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Review draft regulations and responses to CMS’ proposed regulations.
- Assist with administration of health insurance program audits.
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
- U.S. Citizenship required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Individuals who within the previous 2 years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Therefore, you must have completed your educational program no earlier than October 18, 2019. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification). Therefore, veterans must have completed your educational program no earlier than October 18, 2015.
- Degree requirements must be completed during the Fall 2021 semester and the degree must be conferred by January 15, 2022.
Experience we’re looking for:
1) Assisting in performing routine data studies.
2) Working with data software, graphics software, or word processing software.
– OR –
Substitution of Education for Experience:
You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level by possessing at least one full year of graduate level education. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
– OR –
Superior Academic Achievement:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university AND one of the following provisions of superior academic achievement:
- A grade-point average of “B” (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.
- A grade-point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all required courses completed in your major field of study, or those required courses in your major completed in the last two years of your undergraduate study.
- Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
- Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
– OR –
Combination of Experience and Education:
Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the GS-07 grade level. The percentage of your total qualifying experience the education must equal to 100% to qualify for this grade.
You MUST apply through USAJOBS to be considered.
To see the full list of qualifications and eligibility criteria, click apply to review the job announcement on USAJOBS.
Apply by 10/18/21!