All Shifts – Full Time, Part Time & Per Diem Opportunities Available in the following locations: Atlantic County, Blackwood, and Camden County NJ
Utilizes the nursing process to meet a variety of healthcare needs with ambulatory care as the primary focus. Works with a variety of health care professionals and security officers in a correctional environment. Frequent functions guided by nursing protocols. Functions as a team leader as assigned.
- Provides direct and indirect nursing care to meet the psychological, psychosocial and emotional needs of the inmate-patient within the framework established by the correctional system.
- Performs assessments of inmate-patient in a variety of settings such as: initial intake area, health care unit for sick call, emergency situation in housing, chronic care clinics and medical unit. Utilizes assessment skills that require a knowledge base of both normal and abnormal adult health status. Communicates assessment data in a comprehensive, orderly fashion both verbally and in writing.
- Plans nursing care by identification of inmate-patient needs based on assessments. Makes appropriate, timely referrals and initiates appropriate nursing care based on institutional policies and procedures. Documents plans appropriately.
- Implements nursing care and medical care orders in a knowledgeable, safe and cost-effective manner. Documents nursing care and appropriate medically directed care in accordance with institutional policies and procedures. Provides inmate education as an integral part of total patient care.
- Evaluates and documents inmate-patient responses to aspects of health care and makes appropriate referrals to members of the health care team.
- As team leader or charge nurse, delegates duties to other health care team members based on their skill, knowledge and experience and guides the provision of care by others.
- Utilizes effective communication skills by demonstrating respect, concern and courtesy in all interpersonal relationships.
- Communicates information in an accurate, concise and timely manner.
- Protects confidentiality of information in written and verbal communications .
- Participates in problem-solving activities of the health care team by attending unit meetings, utilizing positive interpersonal skills and appropriate channels to initiate change.
- Functions as a role model for other health care unit personnel and maintains harmonious relationships with security, inmate-patients and members of the health care team.
- Uses current knowledge to promote a safe environment for providing health care to inmate-patients.
- Maintains clinical area in a clean, neat & safe manner and participates in required counts and cleaning assignments.
- Adheres to institutional and medical unit infection control policies .
- Understands and adheres to safe correctional nursing practices and institutional security directives.
- Adheres to environmental safety guidelines, policies and procedures .
- Participates in fire and disaster programs and drill as appropriate.
- Maintains current professional skills and continues professional growth to enhance the practice of correctional nursing and the image of the organization.
- Attends appropriate in-services and continuing education offerings to obtain and maintain necessary skills.
- Participates in offering education to inmate, security officers and other members of the health care team.
- Exhibits an ability to participate in the change process to support the organization and the health care unit.
- Accepts assignments and extra duties with flexibility and willingness to participate in activities other than direct patient care.
- Adheres to personnel policies to enhance the operation of the health care unit.
- Conforms to dress code.
- Adheres to attendance policy.
- Reports to work at designated time.
- Maintains required annual licensure and credentialing requirements for the nursing personnel of the health care unit.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of employment.
- Must conform to the security standards of the institution where employed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.