Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Performs duties that support the operation of the nursing unit.
Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Patient Care Responsibilities
- Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
- Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
- Bathes patients and provides assistance with hygiene. (Includes baths, mouth care, shaves males, combs hair, and washes patient’s hair as requested.)
- Changes bed linens for occupied and unoccupied beds.
- Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
- Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
- Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.