The goal of the Career Development Intern (CDI) program is to provide at-risk youth, foster youth, individuals with disabilities, and homeless individuals with opportunities within the County of Los Angeles, and assists them in gaining the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to compete for full-time permanent positions.
Interns have the opportunity to participate in entry-level work for 12-24 months in a variety of job assignments in one of the following specialties:
- Crafts Support Intern
- Heavy Maintenance & Operational Support Intern
- Information Technology/Technical Support Intern
- Office Support/Clerical Intern.
- Foster Youth Program – Current enrollment in, completion of, or current or past eligibility for the Department of Children and Family Services’ Independent Living Program and/or Probation Department’s Independent Living Program (ILP).*
- Countywide Youth Program – Identification as an At-Risk Youth by a bona fide program through American Job Center of California whose mission includes fostering or enhancement of employment opportunities for at risk youth.*
- Homeless Hiring Bridges Program – Individuals, who are homeless or formerly homeless as verified by a bona fide participating program through American Job Center of California whose mission includes fostering or enhancement of employment opportunities for homeless.
- Disability Hiring Program – Must possess an Individuals Facing Barriers to Employment Program certificate from the State Department of Rehabilitation (DOR).
*Note: Some examinations may require applicants to meet specific age limitations at time of appointment.