Crane Payment Innovations is the leader in world class automated payment solutions. We partner with businesses to provide payment experiences that set new and innovative standards for consumer convenience, security and reliability. We are excited to explore new ways every day to improve how millions of people across the globe can make their payments in a way that fits with their lives. Our global engineers develop products and deliver innovative solutions in currency validation technologies, cash management systems, digital payment technologies, mobile applications, security and digital advertising. We offer a range of devices for bill and coin validation, cash recycling and dispensing systems, IoT applications for our enterprise-level connected products and services, and software applications to integrate sensory hardware to machines and networks.
At CPI you will become a valuable part of an inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation with the support of over 2,000 associates working in one of our 15 offices across the world. If you want to have a hands-on global impact on payment solutions, we want you to join our team as a Mechanical Engineer Intern. This is a full time position based in our office in Mt. Prospect, just outside of Chicago, IL.
The Mechanical Engineer will provide dedicated mechanical engineering expertise for New Product Development and Value Engineering for existing designs. Primary objectives for the position will involve concept development and concept validation, detailed design and tooling phase preparation, plus design activities to improve quality, value and cost for CPI products.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Participating in translation of marketing inputs into implementable product and system specifications; contribute to system architecture development
· Creating concept designs based on product and system specifications; supervise/participate in prototype building and functional validation of the prototypes
· Participating in drafting detailed design specifications and related documents
· Creating detailed designs for implementation in production, including participation in tool and die design, printed circuit board and cable layout designs
· Participating and leading design reviews and design-related brainstorming events
· Contributing to and work with senior engineers to develop company engineering standards and processes
· Working with suppliers and distributors for material, technology and component selection, and provide input for Procurement and Supply engineering
· Leveraging 3D CAD experience for design
· All other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Required Skills
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· 2-3 years of college in mechanical engineering curriculum
· Knowledge / Familiarity with 3D modelling systems (Pro/E Creo preferred, SolidWorks, CATIA and NX are also acceptable).
· Able to design plastic injection-molded parts, sheet metal stamped and/or laser cut parts, machined shafts and similar.
· Ability to work on design of plastic parts to be manufactured by 3D printing and other processes.
· Familiarity with the design of light-duty gears and gearboxes, cable layouts, printed circuit board height profiles.
· Integrating small to medium size DC and stepper motors, electronic components and printed circuit boards.
Key Attributes for Success
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities
- Excellent influencing skills, analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive and able to recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities
- Results and people oriented with sound judgment—ability to balance other business considerations
- Team player – able to work in a matrix organization
- Excellent communication skills verbally and in writing
- Competitive salaries
- Community involvement
- Networking events with key industry leaders
- Interactive field trips
- Team building activities with fellow interns
Be a part of Crane Payment Innovations and Crane Co.
CPI is a part of Crane Co., a diversified manufacturer of highly engineered industrial products. Founded in 1855, Crane Co provides products and solutions to customers in four business segments: Aerospace & Electronics, Fluid Handling, Engineered Materials, and Payment & Merchandising Systems. Crane has approximately 12,000 employees in North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Crane Co. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:CR).
Crane Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law.