The Mechanical Engineer Intern will provide dedicated mechanical engineering expertise for the New Product Development or Supply Engineering teams. Primary objectives for the position will involve concept development and concept validation, detailed design and tooling phase preparation, plus design activities to improve quality, value and cost for CPI products.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Participating in translation of marketing inputs into implementable product and system specifications; contribute to system architecture development
· Creating concept designs based on product and system specifications; supervise/participate in prototype building and functional validation of the prototypes
· Participating in drafting detailed design specifications and related documents
· Creating detailed designs for implementation in production, including participation in tool and die design, printed circuit board and cable layout designs
· Participating and leading design reviews and design-related brainstorming events
· Contributing to and work with senior engineers to develop company engineering standards and processes
· Working with suppliers and distributors for material, technology and component selection, and provide input for Procurement and Supply engineering
· Leveraging 3D CAD experience for design
Qualifications and Required Skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
· Knowledge / Familiarity with 3D modelling systems (SolidWorks).
· Able to design plastic injection-molded parts, sheet metal stamped and/or laser cut parts, machined shafts and similar.
· Ability to work on design of plastic parts to be manufactured by 3D printing and other processes.
· Familiarity with the design of light-duty gears and gearboxes, cable layouts, printed circuit board height profiles.
· Integrating small to medium size DC and stepper motors, electronic components and printed circuit boards.