At DICK’S Sporting Goods, interns have the opportunity to work with and learn from the leaders of a growing Fortune 400 company. DICK’S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year; to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent to help fuel the Digital Transformation of a multi-billion-dollar omni-channel business.
During the 11-week summer experience, interns will embark on a meaningful journey and make tangible contributions to the organization’s success. This customized in-house program provides on-the-job training, mentorship, classroom instruction, cross-functional departmental exposure, and an end-of-program project presentation.
As a UX Design Intern, you will look to discover, understand, and communicate user research and design practices to create intuitive, easy-to-use products. Interns will work in a fast paced, lean environment, collaborating closely with other interns, as well as full-time UX designers, product managers, and software engineers.
We are looking for people with hybrid talents who can inspire design-thinking ideas that set the standard for user-centered innovation in the retail industry.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
1. Work closely with UX designers to develop your skills to formulate strategic design decisions during all phases of the product development life cycle
2. Effectively balance applying creative ideation to business challenges to build intuitive, easy-to-use products
3. Conduct research discovery through primary and secondary methods – including, but not limited to user ecosystem mapping, interviews, journey mapping, surveys, usability testing, competitive analysis, and more
4. Analyze research data and articulate findings through effective storytelling amongst your technology and business partners
Some of your experiences will include:
• Multi-day intern orientation to introduce you to the company, the program, Pittsburgh, and your fellow interns
• Professional development workshops designed to increase your knowledge of the company and the retail industry, as well as developing your business acumen and office professionalism
• Extensive exposure to our senior leadership team through our exclusive intern-only Executive Speaker Series, which includes opportunities to interact with our CTO (Vlad Rak) & CEO (Lauren Hobart)
• Opportunities to “live the brand” and experience summer fun outside the office through various events
• Fully furnished summer housing is provided for interns who reside outside of the Metro Pittsburgh area (or stipend for local interns)
• Working 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Skills we are looking for:
1. Passionate about user-centered research and design and promoting empathy and understanding when creating product experiences
2. Strong curiosity when it comes to using new tools, adopting new technology, and learning new UX methods that will progress your professional development
3. Dynamic written and verbal communication style, as well as the ability to communicate cross-functionally and vertically throughout the organization
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
We look for potential candidates with:
• Attending an accredited university, college or technical school
• A major in Design, Technology, or a related field
• Anticipated graduation between December 2021 and May 2022
• A digital portfolio that demonstrates user-centered research and design practices
• An ability to relocate to the Greater Pittsburgh, PA area for the summer (Housing is provided for non-Pittsburgh interns)
Start Date: May 16, 2022
End Date: July 29, 2022
Full-time opportunities in 2023:
Interns qualified for full-time opportunities will be evaluated at the end of the program.
DICK’S Sporting Goods:
Today, headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, DICK’S Sporting Goods, Inc. is a leading omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an extensive assortment of authentic, high-quality sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories. The Company operates over 720 DICK’S Sporting Goods locations across the United States, serving and inspiring athletes and outdoor enthusiasts to achieve their personal best through a blend of dedicated associates, in-store services and unique specialty shop-in-shops dedicated to Team Sports, Athletic Apparel, Golf, Lodge/Outdoor, Fitness and Footwear.
DICK’S also owns and operates Golf Galaxy and Public Lands specialty stores, as well as GameChanger, a youth sports mobile app for scheduling, communications, and live scorekeeping. DICK’S offers its products through a content-rich eCommerce platform that is integrated with its store network and provides customers with the convenience and expertise of a 24-hour storefront.