ERM is seeking a self-starting, dynamic Environmental Specialist to join our consulting firm in Minneapolis, MN. As part of our team, you will provide high-quality analytical support to ERM clients while working closely with other team members. Assignments will be primarily desktop work but will include some fieldwork including but not limited to: storm water site inspection, contaminated site monitoring, and soil sampling. This is an excellent opportunity for a junior professional looking to advance their career with a global sustainability leader.
- Prepare permit applications where required by federal, state or local environmental regulatory authorities for energy/industrial facility development, expansion, maintenance, or decommissioning.
- Evaluate regulatory requirements.
- Maintain records and survey reports.
- Assist with the preparation of technical project documents, including, but not limited to: writing, word processing, building tables and spreadsheets, tabulating and manipulating data, producing hard copy documents, completing air and erosion control engineering calculations commensurate with the candidate’s background.
- Assist with the development of project plans and schedules; and assist with the development of project management reporting, such as monthly progress reports.
- Assist clients with field services such as site reconnaissance, surveys, storm water inspections, and soil and groundwater sampling.
- Communicate with clients, including requesting project information, answering regulatory questions, and providing recommendations.
- Prepare environmental permit applications and plans such as erosion control plans, storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPPs), spill prevention, control, and countermeasures (SPCC) plans, and health and safety plans (HASPs) that comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements.
- Travel up to 30%, including on-call and weekends at certain times of year to meet project requirements for fieldwork, storm water site inspections, soil and groundwater sampling, agency meetings, and/or project team meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in a natural science or engineering field of study;
- 0 – 5 years of applicable work and/or internship experience;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite software;
- Experience conducting desktop and online studies or research on a wide variety of natural resource or resource planning topics, Geographic Information System, map interpretation (National Wetland Inventory, U.S. Geological Survey, aerial photography);
- Ability to work effectively in the field during cold and hot weather conditions;
- Ability to navigate in the field using Global Position System, maps and aerial photographs;
- Demonstrated ability to prepare concise and accurate technical documents;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, which includes being comfortable and effective at communicating complex technical knowledge and concepts to other staff, clients, regulatory agencies, and project stakeholders;
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established Health & Safety protocols;
- Effective written/verbal communication and organization/analytical skills; experience recording/writing detailed technical data and reports;
- Ability to multi-task, maintains flexibility, and works independently with minimal supervision;
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record; and
- Demonstrated attributes to become a strong consultant – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural resource management agencies;
- Field or consulting experience;
- Familiarity with field survey techniques;
- Applied and working knowledge of ArcGIS and CAD software; and
- Current with 40-hour HAZWOPER certification.
Who We Are:
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world’s leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our “boots to boardroom” approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!