In a role that encompasses both creative and critical thinking, you will join an interdisciplinary research team working collaboratively with design teams in the healthcare design practice. The team is focused on identifying opportunities to enhance performance improvement and test design options to find optimal solutions. This is a role that requires a high client focus – internally in support of designers, architects, and planners; and externally to diverse groups of healthcare client stakeholders during facility design. We anticipate that the researcher will bring their specific areas of expertise to shape the position and take a leadership role in helping to shape the future of research within the firm. The position will be based our New York City office.
In this position, you will join a team that is applying interdisciplinary qualitative and quantitative methodologies ranging from machine learning, simulation modeling, and other analytical and improvement methodologies as well as virtual and physical mock-ups, focus groups, and other design thinking approaches to improve facility performance and support data-driven design decision making. This role combines data analytics with field-based research, interaction with key stakeholders from front-line clinical staff to executive leadership. You will be encouraged to share your research at conferences, internal events, and through publications together with colleagues and clients.
You will be actively working with design teams seeking to:
- Support design decision-making and identify how facility design is contributing to client goals and aspirations
- Demonstrate how EC design ideas and expertise bring added value to our clients
- Build our reputation as a national healthcare design innovator
- Forge ongoing relationships with clients and colleagues as a trusted and objective advisor
- Act as an embedded researcher and process improvement specialist on selected project design teams where you will apply design or performance improvement research methods and knowledge pertinent to the projects’ goals. Translating research findings into actionable design and operational solutions through visual means is key to this role. This applied research role includes:
- Analyzing operational efficiencies and processes of selected facilities during pre- and post-design, with a focus on identifying opportunities for improvement on metrics of key interest to the design team and to clients and other stakeholders using machine learning, process mining, lean and process improvement techniques, journey or process mapping, simulation modeling, and other methods as appropriate to client and project needs and requirements.
- Demonstrating performance of proposed healthcare spaces through multiple means; including tool development, mock-ups, simulation or other mechanisms as appropriate.
- Deriving actionable insights and communicate these with internal and external teams (internal design teams and client groups)
- Contribute to, and participate in lean, Kaizen and interactive user design charrettes and user group meetings
- Develop metrics to successfully identify and track improvements at all phases of design delivery
- Collaborate with research and operational team, planners and designers to translate findings into design innovation, including presentation documents and graphics that summarize and creatively illustrate these findings