WHO WE ARE
Artificial Intelligence is going to change the world. Just as electricity transformed numerous industries, AI is now poised to do the same and is at a similar inflection point. Forkaia is a venture studio founded Ali Sina in 2017. Our portfolio companies utilize AI technology and applications to improve human existence and help solve planetary-scale problems in areas where humanity is failing and there is no obvious solution today. Our purpose is to build AI companies that move humanity forward.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Forkaia seeks a Research Intern to assist in bio-science research (ocean waste plastics, solid waste, brain nutrition, CO2 emissions, etc…) that will contribute to the overall goals of the biosciences startups (LOOP, ProCO2, membrain, Pink Algae) in the Forkaia Incubator.
- Research into current trends and developments in Brain Computer Interfaces
- Increasing the understanding of the volume and nature of plastic waste generated in developing economies through data collection and analysis;
- Researching methods in which plastics are currently handled in developing economies and what improvements could be made to such efforts;
- Analysis of resin types and chemical make-up of “ocean bound” or “in ocean” identified plastics;
- Process technology and economic analysis of alternative recycling, reuse or processing methods and available or emerging technologies (including chemical recycling);
- Research into current trends and developments in alternative packaging
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proven knowledge of data collection methods
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and statistical applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to write doctorate-level research reports for publication in reputable journals
- Knowledge of project management
- Ability to work within a team and follow the instructions of senior faculty
QUALITIES WE LOOK FOR:
Aptitude. We value potential as much as experience. Many of our top contributors had no AI experience prior to Forkaia. People learn the skills they need while also performing useful work along the way.
Team Player. AI is a team sport, and we appreciate people who are exceptionally thoughtful and nice.
Accountability: an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one’s actions while doing so with the highest regard for integrity.
Leadership: able to influence others to follow you and lead the team to a brighter future.
Grit: able to stick with projects and work hard through good and bad times. High pain tolerance and can perform well under stress or pressure.
Ownership orientation: Demonstrated orientation of extreme ownership over all aspects of the company.
Solution Oriented: Helps to identify the source of a question or challenge and provide the right, or a better, way of doing things.
Strong interpersonal skills. Can you impress customers and be clearly understood as well as persuade them to work with us?
Strong verbal and written communications. You should be able to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Analytical and result-oriented. You are mission driven, but also and extremely results-oriented. You go above and beyond to meet your goals.
Determination and Scrappiness. You don’t give up easily.You take initiative and proactively get things done with low resources, but thinking creatively and doing what is needed in an ambiguous environment or situation.
We have a collaborative environment where we discuss challenges and ideas openly. Everything from quick design questions, philosophic discussions, to fun ideas for our technology – nothing is off limits. At Forkaia, you have the utmost creative freedom to work on your passions, and be able to make a significant impact early on. We want our team to think unconventionally, be creative, and find elegant solutions to problems that are yet unsolved. We are an engineering-driven organization; everyone here makes product decisions.
Strong work ethic. All of us believe in our work’s ability to change human lives, and consequently work not just smart, but also hard.
Growth mindset. We are eager to teach you new skills and invest in your continual development. But learning is hard work, so this is something we hope you’ll want to do.
One Team Mentality. We care and watch out for each other. We’re humble individually and go after big goals together.
Flexibility. You should be flexible in your tasks and do whatever is needed, ranging from lower-level tasks like scheduling to high level recruiting strategy.
Mission-driven. People at Forkaia care deeply about building AI in a way that benefits humanity.
Thoughtful. Building powerful technologies with the potential to impact society requires deep reflection and discussion.
Collaborative. Many of our biggest advances grew out of work done across multiple teams.
Goal-oriented. We move both quickly and deliberately to balance research and engineering objectives.
Growth mindset. We believe in the power of feedback and encourage a mindset of continuous learning and growth.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Collaborate with friendly, talented people with diverse backgrounds
- Fun and exciting projects to choose from
- Flexible schedule
- Projects/work tailored towards your interest
- Make contacts across multiple industries who can help you in your career
- Get Exposure, Boost Your reputation
- Build impressive and extensive portfolio and gain real life experience working with diverse teams
- Academic Credit: Students may receive course credit. Staff will work with the school/advisor on achieving desired learning outcomes and completing all necessary paperwork.
We’re headquartered at UCI Applied Innovation in Irvine, California but you can also work Remotely.
You must already have, or be able to obtain, authorization to work in the United States. There is no relocation budget or visa sponsorship budget available for this role. However, currently, we are working from home till 2021 so everyone is able to work remotely until everyone is ready to return to the office.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At Forkaia, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Forkaia believes that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Selection for employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.