NOVA is the most popular primetime science series on American television, demystifying the scientific and technological concepts that shape and define our lives, our planet, and our universe. The PBS series is also one of the most widely distributed science programs around the world, and is a multimedia, multiplatform brand reaching more than 55 million Americans every year on TV and online. NOVA’s important and inspiring stories of human ingenuity, exploration, and the quest for knowledge are regularly recognized with the industry’s most prestigious awards. As part of its mission to make the scientific enterprise accessible to all, NOVA is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work, from the production process to the range of stories we tell and voices we feature. In addition, science educators across the country rely on NOVA for resources used in the classroom as well as in museums, libraries, and after-school programs. NOVA is a production of WGBH Boston; more information can be found at pbs.org/nova, or by following NOVA on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Interns work closely with the senior editorial staff for NOVA’s broadcast television program, including the science editor, associate researcher, and senior producers. Interns work with particular film projects throughout the semester and are invited to join in reviewing cuts for all ongoing projects. Interns gain experience in research and development for broadcast television and learn how NOVA approaches science storytelling from beginning to end. They’ll also have opportunities to learn from NOVA staff about a range of topics including digital video production, media rights and licensing, and audience development.
- Develop ideas for future programs
- Research story components for upcoming programs
- Review films for potential acquisition
- Conduct research interviews with scientists
- Fact-check film scripts
- Participate in editorial meetings
- Strong writing and research skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to work on deadlines
- Interest in science, technology, research, and communications
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and deadline
Paid Internship $15/hour (Part-time 20 hours)
GBH internships provide students with valuable work experience and real-world knowledge across many different fields of study, from TV and radio production, to web design, accounting, law, and other administrative arenas.
SPRING 2021 INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- Spring 2021 Virtual Internship dates: January 25th – May 7th.
- You must have cover letters for each internship that you are applying to.
- Candidates must have their own computer and access to Wifi.
- Candidates must be in an Undergrad or Grad program and have work authorization for the United States.
To learn more about our program follow us on Instagram: