The Contracts Assistant will be responsible primarily for providing administrative assistance to a Senior Contracts Manager and Senior Contracts Associate with matters relating to drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts and license agreements pertaining to specific groups/divisions of Hachette Book Group imprints (e.g., Little, Brown and Company and Perseus Books publishing divisions/imprints) and matters related to contracts data entry. The day-to-day administrative tasks may include: taking phone messages, updating and maintaining databases, maintaining and managing workflow and status reports, scheduling meetings, preparing / routing payment information and registering works for copyright. After training, the job responsibilities will may also include drafting and routing subsidiary rights agreements, drafting and processing fee-based contracts for contributors and drafting amendments to author agreements. The Contracts Assistant will also be required to handle cancellation and reversions requests. This job offers a good introduction to the business and legal side of publishing.
Though this position will be permanently based in the HBG New York office, the candidate may work remotely from a home office for the foreseeable future.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Update and track author agreements and amendments workflow and status reports for Little, Brown and Company, Perseus Books, and other imprints as needed.
- Route and email author agreements, amendments, and fee-based contributor agreements., using DocuSign whenever possible.
- Prepare payment information/requests.
- Enter contracts data into the database.
- Register copyright for HBG publications.
- Draft and review contract amendments and fee-based contributor agreements. This involves correspondence and negotiation with the counterparty and in-house departments, including Legal, Editorial and Finance.
- Draft and review subsidiary licenses for specific HBG divisions/imprints.
- Review and respond to publishing rights reversion requests for specific HBG divisions/imprints.
- Update, track and draft (as needed) contract cancellations, including tracking repayment plans with the Finance Department.
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-starter, able to take ownership of job responsibilities and manage work time efficiently
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.