We are seeking a Teaching Assistant for Math or ELA. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
To support our teachers, we provide them with bi-weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure they reach their full potential.
Our team has been comprehensively reviewing best practices from local, national, and international school systems and following government guidelines to ensure we are taking all possible safety measures related to the pandemic. Our safety protocols have been enhanced with the advice and assistance of experts in the areas of public health, epidemiology, air quality control, space design and layout, and building capacity. Our organization continues to prioritize the safety of all students and staff as we navigate these unprecedented times.
Teaching Assistant Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Teacher in delivery of lesson
- Help ensure that students master grade-level standards
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Conduct classroom activities when the Teacher is absent and substitutes in other classrooms
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Coordinate the arrival and dismissal of students
- Participate in activities outside of the classroom
- Participate in program planning and communicates observations to others
- Handle behavioral and other emergencies as per policy and procedures and/or behavioral performance
- Communicate observations and/or concerns regarding students’ physical and psychological status
- Complete data collection in an appropriate and timely manner
- Participate in staff meetings and supervisory conferences as scheduled
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation provided
Teaching Assistant Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Early childhood education and/or educational background
- Valid New York State certification as a teaching assistant or in the process of obtaining certification
- Ability to have good working relationship with supervisors, staff, parents, and outside personnel
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.