Formed in 1974, Harvard Management Company (“HMC”) manages Harvard University’s endowment and related financial assets. Our singular mission is to help ensure Harvard University has the financial resources to maintain and expand its leadership in teaching, learning, and research for future generations. The endowment is managed by a highly experienced generalist investment team whose members each take ownership of the entire portfolio, regardless of asset class. HMC’s operational structure brings a wide range of expertise to our portfolio management. These functions include risk management, legal, compliance, finance and accounting, human resources and administrative services as well as information technology to develop and implement the systems necessary to support our investment activities.
The Generalist Team at HMC has a singular focus which is the performance of the overall endowment and all members of the team take ownership of the entire portfolio. Importantly, the generalist model is supported by a partnership culture in which the collective team engages in focused debates about investment opportunities both within asset classes and across the investment universe. The Generalist Team seeks a highly motivated junior professional to provide analytical, research and investment process support to the team. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of academic achievement, strong modeling skills, success working in a team environment, and a strong desire to learn about institutional investing. This is expected to be a three to four-year position.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Operate as an integral member of the Generalist Team by supporting the senior members of the team on the full spectrum of evaluating both prospective and existing investments and managers.
Provide analytical support across the portfolio, particularly in the areas of:
- Monitoring and assessing existing portfolio investments including performance, risk/exposures and news flow across asset classes.
- Assist in new manager diligence by participating in calls and meetings, researching the opportunity set, assessing the overall performance and attribution of the manager and performing comparative analysis.
- Examples might include: LBO modeling, comp analysis, return attribution analysis, etc.
Contribute to ad hoc research projects on different countries, industries, markets and investment strategies.
Further develop investment skills and contribute to the investment dialogue among the Generalist Team.
Provide general support to the team on day-to-day tasks.
- Demonstrated academic ability (BA or BS degree).
- One to two years post-college experience in investment banking, finance, consulting or investing.
- Excellent financial modeling (MS Excel) and quantitative skills required.
- Demonstrated passion for investing with some basic knowledge of institutional investment management.
- Proactive self-starter with strong work ethic and professional attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both oral and written) skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team player who prioritizes success of the team over individual achievements.
- Willingness to travel, including outside the United States.
- Unquestionable ethical standards.
HMC will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
Interested candidates should apply online via https://www.hmc.harvard.edu/careers/