At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our ‘About Us’ video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is an award-winning integrated Architecture, Engineering and Planning firm with a history of challenging conventional practices and innovating across disciplines and geographies. We’ve earned a reputation for design excellence with clients on five continents. Our local presence makes us aware of specific needs and concerns, while our global perspective keeps us linked to the latest technology, ideas, and information.
Our Urban Design, Planning and Landscape Architecture practice in our Denver Architecture studio engages in a variety of project types, including mixed-use and urban development projects, site design, streetscape design, green infrastructure, transit-oriented development, corridor planning and design, master plans, healthcare, civic, higher education, and park and open space design. Embedded within a highly interdisciplinary office and company, our studio is engaged in exciting, diverse, and challenging projects that require a well-rounded, flexible, and enthusiastic team of designers and planners capable of working with a diverse range of clients, locations, and project types.
We are looking for a creative, energetic, self-motivated, and conscientious team player with the ability to communicate design and planning concepts both graphically and verbally. This position requires a versatile professional that is eager to learn and values the opportunity for professional development through a variety of project assignments. Growth and advancement will be evident by the successful candidate’s ability to assume responsibility. In the role of Urban and Landscape Designer, we’ll count on you to:
Support various urban design and landscape design projects and project types simultaneously and interact and coordinate effectively with other team members.
- Develop and advance design thinking and concepts in project work and studio culture.
- Leverage design and graphic talent, including computer and hand graphic skills, on a variety of projects for private and public clients.
- Create concept and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D digital illustration tools, free hand drawing, and rendering.
- Clearly communicate design and planning concepts in writing and in spoken presentations.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, and other disciplines on commercial-scale design projects.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban design and/or landscape architecture from an accredited university. Candidates with both may receive elevated consideration.
- 1-4 years professional work experience as an urban or landscape designer
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, SketchUp, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite, and rendering software. Hand sketching and drawing skills preferred.
- Strong design and critical thinking skill set
- Strong writing and speaking skills
- Experience with a range of design activities, including site analysis, site planning, conceptual development, and detailed design.
- Excellent communication, time management, graphic and organizational skills
Recent graduates or professionals with up to three years of design office experience working on commercial-scale design projects are preferred. Strong interest in collaborating within multi-disciplinary teams is desired. Proficiency in 3D modeling and rendering with programs such as Grasshopper, Lumion, Enscape, and VRay may get elevated consideration. Revit and GIS skills preferred but not required.
Interested candidates should respond with job application, resume and portfolio of recent work samples (via web-based link).
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Benefits and Compensation
We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee ownership, employee health, performance, and success; which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, employee referral bonuses and tuition reimbursement. The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $53,000 – $75,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.