Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are the leading cause of death and disability, globally — yet there continues to be an underinvestment in action and financing.
The Health Finance Institute (HFI) is a global-health start-up working to change this. We primarily design, structure and broker transactions addressing data, delivery, and device challenges across the chronic disease spectrum in the world’s low- and middle-income countries. We are strong believers in using blended finance structuring solutions to drive our impact goals. We recognize the critical value of partnerships across complex health ecosystems, and therefore partner with foundations, medical device and pharmaceutical companies, international organizations, and health enterprises to be most effective. We are global health and blended finance specialists that work with the private sector, countries, financial partners, and international organizations to develop partnerships between the public and private sectors to address the NCD financing gap.
We are seeking an energetic, responsible Health Finance Intern to continue and accelerate the groundbreaking work that Health Finance Institute embarks on. This intern will work within the Health Economics Department and will report to the Chief Executive Officer. This intern needs to be based in Europe, or be based in the United States’ East Coast and able to work European hours (early mornings and/or late nights).
Duties or Responsibilities (also position overview):
- Assist with a number of health outcome and economics analyses for NCDs, focusing particularly on diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and cancer;
- Develop potential client lists, funding targets and strategies, and draft materials for HFI’s economic modeling and blended finance training offerings;
- Identify and track grant/proposal deadlines, draft materials, and project manage feedback and submission;
- Research emerging themes in innovative finance for health, blended finance, and impact investing, and presenting findings to inform blended finance projects and partnerships;
- Work with team members to conduct industry research, prepare due diligence memos;
- Distill analytics and preparing communications materials for the Health Economics portfolio;
- Create and maintain slide decks and other results summaries;
- Research and gather documentation on the company’s position in the industry;
- Other duties as assigned.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Economics, Health Financing and Policy or Public Health (Epidemiology, Health Economics, Biostatistics)
- Proficient in STATA
- Experience with logistic regression and survival analyses
- Previous work with healthcare outcomes and cost related data
- Excellent data analytics skills
- Demonstrated excellence in an academic or professional setting
- Passion, drive, and intrinsic motivation
- Ability to be agile and pivot as a member of this dynamic startup
- Demonstrated experience with mathematical modeling
- Experience with project management platforms like Asana
- Experience working with SharePoint and other Microsoft Office products
- Experience working with G-Suite
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on core issues
- A critical thinker, current on global health events
More about the position:
- Start date: ASAP.
- End date: December 9th, 2021 (extension beyond December possible but will be evaluated after an initial work period).
- Time Commitment: Expectation of about 20 hours a week, with considerations for academic or other commitments.
- Time zone: European-based intern or East Coast intern with ability to work European hours.
Benefits of joining our team:
- Stipend to support expenses while interning
- Opportunity to learn and develop skills with clear learning goals, dedicated coaching, and a supportive team
- Opportunity to learn from leading global health experts across multiple sectors and geographies
- Opportunity to contribute to impactful projects saving lives
- Opportunity to be part of a strong, collaborative, and dynamic team who aim to re-invent how global health financing works
- Flexible schedule and teleworking options
- Ability for growth across multiple dimensions including project management, leadership, and technical skill sets and expertise
- Great scope for networking with senior leadership of global impact organizations
Application process: Please email a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Application timeline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. All applications will be reviewed upon receipt and qualified candidates will then be contacted. No phone calls please.