Currently accepting applications, as of October 2020.
Exciting Opportunity for a Nurse Interested in Cutting-Edge Alzheimer’s Disease Clinical Care and Research. A highly talented Translational Research Nurse (RN) will be employed at the Nantz National Alzheimer Center (NNAC), a leading outpatient facility within the Department of Neurology, Houston Methodist Neurological Institute. The team includes nurses, physicians, neuropsychologists, social workers and other personnel. In addition to outstanding care of adult patients with diseases causing cognitive impairment or dementia, the NNAC is conducting innovative research to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and to treat this and other disorders causing dementia.
· Demonstrates critical thinking, creativity, and versatility in problem solving and handling complex situations. (EF)
· Calmly manages all, including the most complex, clinical and interpersonal situations. (EF)
· Maintains strict confidentiality of patients, employees, and hospital information at all times.
· Seeks feedback to gain insight into performance, interpersonal behaviors and incorporates feedback to improve performance. (EF)
· Follows work attendance policies; maintains consistent attendance with no unexcused tardiness or absences.
· Demonstrates ICARE Values
· Follows all safety rules while on the job
· Maintains accountability for ongoing professional growth and development. Participates in unit activities. (EF)
Direct Patient Contact Duties (estimated 50% of time):
· Evaluates new patients from a nursing perspective and collects appropriate data.
· Enters clinical and study data on manual or electronic case report forms according to prescribed standards.
· Draws blood, places angiocatheters and gives IM injections as appropriate
· Identifies, recruits, and consents clinical research subjects for participation in approved clinical trials; monitors enrollment goals and modifies enrollment strategies, as necessary.
· Assesses patient progress, collaborating with other faculty and staff when needed, in accordance with the nursing process and established plan of care. (EF)
· Acts as a patient advocate in coordinating with the interdisciplinary team to facilitate holistic and goal-oriented approach to care across the continuum that meets the patient’s physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs. (EF)
· Maintains knowledge of the patient’s condition and knows when to negotiate a change in the plan of care with the physician and other members of the care team. (EF)
· Provides patient education regarding disease process and involves patient as well as family/significant other, when appropriate, in decision-making process. (EF)
· Performs nursing functions independently and in collaboration with Principal Investigator as approved by Hospital administration for the conduct of clinical research.
· Collects, processes and ships protocol-required lab (CSF, blood, urine, sputum, etc.) specimens.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Administrative and Research Duties (estimated 50% of time):
· With appropriate supervision, demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects at different stages of the clinical research process (Phase 1-Phase 4)
· With appropriate supervision, prepares IRB and regulatory documents for submission assuring compliance with local and federal regulatory standards as appropriate. Follows ICH/GCP guidelines.
· Assists with development of study tools including sources documents and eligibility checklists and criteria cards.
· Assists with budget development and institutional account reconciliation of protocol-driven ancillary procedures and tests.
· Provides comprehensive nursing assessments to develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate activities associated with all phases of clinical research projects. Monitors safety of all research subjects and reports adverse events.
· Maintains inventory and accountability of supply and equipment, as well as investigational products and supplies; maintains appropriate logs.
· Monitors source documents and case report forms for completion and accuracy; assists with quality assurance processes.
· Performs study closeout procedures including post-study documentation, return of study materials to the sponsor and data archiving.
· May precept new clinical research staff in clinical setting.
Contact: Applicants should e-mail (1) a letter of interest, (2) CV, and (3) three references to Belen Pascual, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Start date: Immediate.
The Houston Methodist Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.