At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
What Does an IBM Cognitive Engineer Consultant Internship Opportunity Offer?
- Consulting experience and client facing interaction on challenging projects
- Networking with IBM leadership and professional development and training activities
- Working in a collaborative and dynamic environment
- Receiving a competitive compensation package with the potential for full-time career opportunities
- Mentoring to help you envision what a career at IBM could be like
What Will You Do as an IBM Cognitive Engineer Consultant Intern?
We offer exceptional consulting opportunities to work with some of the brightest minds in the business within the Analytics and Cognitive Computing domains, specifically in the areas of Big Data, Cognitive Computing, Data Science. Our Cognitive Engineer Consultants work as members of engagement teams, often at client sites, to bring value to our clients, as well as part of high-impact internal teams developing industry-leading assets and models. You’ll join a team that combines sophisticated data analytics with market-leading global solutions, deep industry insight and business consulting expertise.
Our opportunities are in one of the following core skill areas:
Data Science / Machine Learning Engineer – Responsible for successful delivery of data science solutions and services in a client consulting environment. In this role, you will:
- Lead strategy discussions and help to design and develop a solution that meets client’s goals and outcomes
- Define key business problems to be solved and formulate mathematical approaches and gather data to solve those problems, develop, analyze/draw conclusions, test solutions and present to client.
- Leverage your experiences in predictive modeling, optimization, and/or machine learning analytics techniques using tools/programming languages including Python, R, Spark, etc. as well as ML Deployment capabilities like Docker, Container, Microservices, Kubernetes within a Big data-enabled environment
- Demonstrate End to End understanding of a Model Development Lifecycle and frameworks with a focus on implementation libraries/packages/APIs (e.g. scikit-learn, Theano, Spark MLlib, H2O, TensorFlow etc.)
- Enhance performance by applying advanced mathematical modeling, data analytics, optimization, and machine learning techniques
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components and tools leveraging machine learning and deep learning models to solve real-world problems in areas such as speech recognition, natural language processing and time series predictions
- Deploy packaged solutions using tools/frameworks such as React JS, Flask, Maven etc.
- Conduct real world statistical A/B testing scenarios and fine tune models based on feedback
Cognitive Computing – Provide business insights to IBM clients through innovative solutions and services for unstructured data using the best of breed open AI software and tools. For example:
- Natural language processing by helping to understand the complexities of unstructured data
- Hypothesis generation and evaluation by applying advanced analytics to weigh and evaluate a panel of responses based on only relevant evidence
- Dynamic learning by helping to improve learning based on outcomes to get smarter with each iteration and interaction. This combination delivers a powerful solution:
- To move beyond the constraints of programmatic computing
- To move from reliance on structured, local data to unlock the world of global, unstructured data
- To move from decision tree-driven, deterministic applications to probabilistic systems that coevolve with their users
- To move from keyword-based search to an intuitive, conversational means of discovering a set of confidence-ranked responses. If your expertise is with unstructured data and advanced analytics; ability to apply semantic correlation, ontology and text analytics techniques and systems to analyze non-structured data and identify critical insights for overall business analytics across various domains. Experience in analyzing text, streams, documents, social media, speech and video with emerging Hadoop-based big data, NoSQL, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Search and Text analytics technologies and techniques. Possess solid skills in Java or C++ development and a good understanding of working with Hadoop, Artificial Intelligence (AI) or other cognitive computing technology.
Big Data & Analytics – Provide business insights to IBM clients through innovative solutions and services for both structured and unstructured data.
- If your expertise is working with structured data; apply methods, techniques & technologies that address data architecture, integration and governance of data. Utilize experience in database concepts, data modeling; data integration including design and architecture. Master data management, including customer data strategy, product data strategy and organizational hierarchy, and Information (data) Governance including strategy, implementation, business glossary, metadata and industry frameworks. Tasks include data mapping, detailed data analysis and metadata analysis and providing hands-on business knowledge working with database developers, DBAs, architects, data quality analysts, and other teams while seamlessly managing client relationships within context of individual role.
- If your expertise is working with unstructured data; ability to apply semantic correlation, ontology and text analytics techniques and systems to analyze non-structured data and identify critical insights for overall business analytics across various domains. Experience in analyzing text, streams, documents, social media, speech and video with emerging Hadoop-based big data, NoSQL, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Search and Text analytics technologies and techniques. Possess solid skills in Java, C++, Python, or Scala development and a good understanding of working with Hadoop.
Full Stack Engineer – As a Full Stack Engineer, you will work on these solutions across the entire tech stack. You will work with databases, distributed systems, microservices, message bus/queues, and frontend user interfaces.
- Develop highly scalable microservices / RESTFUL Services and APIs
- Develop user-friendly interfaces and dashboards, translation of designer mockups and wireframes into front end code
- Write unit and integration tests
- Build instrumentation and metrics for monitoring and alerting systems
- Document your work Research and implement new technologies to solve customer problems
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Enrolled in Graduate/Masters program at University; graduating in December 2021 or Spring 2022
- Available for internship which takes place Summer 2021
- Depending on COVID-19 Return to Work Guidelines, if the internship is in-person:
- Willingness and ability to relocate to New York City or Chicago for the duration of the internship
- Travel up to 75% to client locations (Monday – Thursday)
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Prior consulting &/or relevant work experience in one of the following industries: Communications – (Media & Entertainment, Telecom, Utilities), Distribution – (Customer Package Goods, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Travel & Transportation), Industrial – (Aerospace & Defense, Automotive, Chemicals & Petroleum / Industrial Products, Electronics), Public – (Healthcare & Life Sciences, Government)
- Possess required skills and education associated with Predictive or Business Analytics; Business or Marketing Intelligence; Computer Science; Computer Information Sciences and Technology; Computer or Management Information Systems; Information Technology; Applied Mathematics; Applied Statistics; and Operations Research
- Familiarity with Clouds such as Azure, AWS, IBM Cloud and Google Cloud
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world’s economy. IBM Services partners with the world’s leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
IBM intends this job to be performed entirely outside of Colorado.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.