The iCivics team seeks a bright and enthusiastic intern to support user research and user experience work for our products and website. This internship runs through the summer and may be extended into the fall semester. You will gain skills in user research, user experience design, and project management as you help our team envision the future of the iCivics experience for teachers and students. Intimate knowledge of or interest in learning about accessible design is a plus.
Some of the tasks you will be responsible for include:
- Engage with a dynamic team of users, curriculum writers, and technical staff to align organizational needs with user needs
- Assist in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, including interviewing users, coding transcripts, preparing workshop materials, and writing research summaries
- Brainstorm and research innovations and resources in the K12 education market
- Assist with updates to user support materials, including support videos
- Other tasks as assigned
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a passion for civics, K-12 education, equity, and design
- Be able to dedicate 15-20 hours/weekly to iCivics research efforts via a virtual setting
- Be self-driven, responsible, and detail-oriented
- Enjoy fast-paced work environments and changing tasks
- Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides) and video production preferred.
What you will gain:
- Opportunities to work on tasks that are both high level and creative in scope
- Experience in nonprofit civic education
- Skills responding to and offering constructive and actionable feedback
- Experience conducting user research activities remotely
Applicants should send a resume and a 1-page cover letter expressing 1) how your background, interest, and experience will contribute to this position and 2) how this position will help you in your path to Libby Falck at Libby.Falck@icivics.org.
iCivics is a leading civic education nonprofit located in Cambridge, MA. Founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics reimagines civic education for American democracy. We champion equitable and non-partisan civic education, while providing engaging resources that empower educators in the critical task of preparing young people for lifelong civic engagement.