JOB TITLE: Microbiologist
POSITION NUMBER: 2011-07260-Micro-001
POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identification
TRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management and administrative program support to various Centers, Institutes and Offices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under several contracts. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of IHRC, Inc. and will be assigned to the Respiratory Viruses Branch (RVB), Division of Viral Diseases (DVD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide scientific and technical support for the RVB.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Microbiologist will provide laboratory support services for RVB initiatives.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform independent laboratory research which will result in the development of pan viral family and genus PCR assays and NGS sequencing analysis which will detect and identify both known and novel viral members of viral family and genus
- Apply pan viral family and genus PCR assays and NGS sequencing analysis to the testing of specimens from cases and outbreaks of serious human disease of unknown etiology
- Apply pan viral family and genus PCR assays and NGS sequencing analysis to the testing of specimens from zoonotic emerging disease surveillance study and human disease surveillance study (respiratory, encephalitis, diarrhea)
- Provide laboratory testing support for ongoing MERS CoV diagnosis and investigation, and assist in MERS CoV genome characterization and analysis
- Prepare scientific reports, summaries, presentations, manuscripts, proposals and laboratory SOPs and other technical documents;
- Perform activities associated with lab safety, specimen and laboratory quality management system (QMS)
- Provide training for new fellows and visitors as needed
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in natural sciences and 3-5 years of relevant microbiology laboratory experience with virus
- At least 3 years laboratory experience in molecular microbiology methods with viruses
- Research experience involving preparation and handling of nucleic acid samples, PCR, NGS, and other standard laboratory molecular methods
- Knowledge of biosafety requirements for research being performed
- Superior organizational and project planning skills requiring minimal supervision
- Extensive knowledge of scientific and molecular microbiology principles and standard methods with viruses
- Demonstrated skills and experience writing project reports, research protocols and manuscripts
- Strong interpersonal skills required for team work and extensive interaction with people across CDC and with external partners
- Strong written and oral presentation skills
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Immunizations may be required
- Experience with sequence analysis from human disease outbreaks
- Experience with laboratory quality management systems (QMS)
- Experience with the development and use of next generation sequencing methods for DNA, RNA sequencing of viruses
- Demonstrated experience developing PCR and/or NGS based in vitro diagnostic assays with viruses
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize new ideas for project research
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the “Apply Now” button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the “click to apply” link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the “View Opportunities” link.
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.