A global destination for artists and arts enthusiasts, Interlochen Center for the Arts nurtures creativity through five dynamic platforms: Interlochen Arts Camp, the renowned summer arts program; Interlochen Arts Academy, the nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school; Interlochen Presents, a producer of more than 600 annual performances by internationally celebrated guest artists, Interlochen students, and faculty; Interlochen Public Radio, two listener-supported, 24-hour public radio stations (classical music and news); and Interlochen College of Creative Arts, a convener for lifelong learning in the arts.
The Program Director of Animation provides leadership for Interlochen educational programs in animation, including the major for Interlochen Arts Academy as well as courses available to non-majors; programs offered at Interlochen Arts Camp, programs offered at Interlochen College for Creative Arts, and classes and programs offered through Interlochen Online. The Program Director teaches courses and advises students in the program, ensuring their success and completion. Additionally, the Program Director leads all faculty teaching; reviews and oversees curriculum; recommends curriculum revisions; and ensures student learning and student success. The Program Director also leads and manages a program of visiting artists. The Program Director is a member of divisional and institutional committees, as appropriate. The Program Director also manages professional screenings, presentations and/or the exhibition of student work.
The Program Director works collaboratively with Interlochen colleagues to ensure the highest educational standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and implement animation programs at Interlochen.
- Assist with development of short and long-range educational goals, including the implementation, review and evaluation of curriculum, and recommending revisions as appropriate.
- Manage faculty, including hiring recommendations, development and collaboration with professional development opportunities, mentorship, consultation, and evaluation.
- Teach, advise and support students in the animation program and ensure their success and retention.
- Develop policies and procedures that facilitate student access, maintain quality, and safeguard equipment and facilities, ensuring consistency and compliance.
- Organize visiting artists, student trips and exchanges, as appropriate.
- Participate in institutional committees and engage in active professional development.
- Collaborate in marketing, enrollment, admissions, and student recruitment efforts.
Experience and Competencies:
- Masters degree in appropriate field, or bachelor’s degree with significant professional experience
- Minimum of three years experience in educational leadership, management, evaluation, and/or planning
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the following:
– working in a wide variety and multiple types of animation
– working in both analog and digital environments
– collaborating with artists in different contexts
– story generation and concept design
– a variety of animation and editing software, representing industry standards
– traditional and digital drawing and rendering skills
- Aptitude for embracing diversity in individuals, perspectives, artistic styles, and curriculum
- Ability to work in both traditional and non-traditional settings
- Ability to navigate in a complex educational setting, and build relationships
- Ability to develop and implement a vision for the program
- Ability to function effectively in a constantly changing environment
- Strong managerial, administrative, entrepreneurial and organizational skills
- Strong proactive approach to problem solving and teamwork.
- Additional experience with VR, AR and game design preferred
- Application Materials Required:
- Cover letter
- Link to website or animation portfolio