BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 27,000 refugees from 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 1,000 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 2,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF SOCIAL ADJUSTMENT SERVICES INTERN WORK: The IRC’s Social Adjustment Program provides case management services to better meet the needs of refugees and asylees who have been in the United States for six months or longer. The program helps clients in maintaining or regaining self-sufficiency, navigating the healthcare system, applying for public benefits and ensuring food security and adequate nutrition.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Social Adjustment Services Intern will assist caseworkers with the following:
• Meet with clients to identify and address their individual needs
• Help make referrals to community partners
•Assist client in setting up IOM loan payments
• Assist clients in navigating social service systems
• Input client information into IRC’s database
• Assist clients during virtual walk-in hours
• Communicate client concerns with IRC staff and coordinate service plans with supervisor
• Other duties as assigned
· Excellent communication and writing skills
· Organized with attention to detail
· An interest in international and refugee issues
· Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
· Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
· A car/driver’s license is beneficial
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
For more information, please contact VolunteerATL@Rescue.org. To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta