Summer Festival internships run May through September and are part of a structured program decades in the making. Jacob’s Pillow internships offer invaluable training and mentorship towards your professional career. By interning with Jacob’s Pillow during the summer, you join a team of seasoned arts professionals and assist with multiple programs pertaining to the Festival, The School, the Archives, and Community Engagement.
This year, in response to the COVID pandemic, and restrictions placed on live performance and gathering opportunities, the program was cut back for 2021, with fewer internships offered than has been customary in the past. In addition, in order for Jacob’s Pillow to prioritize the health and safety of all community members as they pass through campus this summer, we will be investing in medical staffing, COVID-19 testing, PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), and implementing extensive protocols in consultation with medical professionals and in accordance with local laws and regulations. All interns will be asked to commit to these guidelines as a condition of their appointment, the details of which will be available prior to acceptance.
As a Summer Festival Intern, you will:
- Be a member of the team executing one of the world’s most prestigious dance festivals.
- Experience a Festival environment offering world-class ballet, contemporary, cultural, dance/theatre, and jazz dance; public events including artist talks, master classes, community classes, open rehearsals, and free performances; access to one of the field’s most valuable dance Archives; and professional advancement training in The School at Jacob’s Pillow.
- Receive on-the-job training and experience working with the Festival’s staff.
- Gain a broad perspective on the international performing arts field.
- Join an international community of artists, faculty, scholars, staff, students, and intern peers in a dance-filled environment.
- Enjoy the rich heritage of this National Historic Landmark in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.
- Career talks, topical discussions, Staff-led seminars, training, and mentoring
- On-campus housing
- 3 meals per day
- $1,500 stipend
- Free performances and dance classes
- College credit, work-study, independent study, and/or cooperative learning programs may be available through your school. Or you may register for college credit at Jacob’s Pillow through our partnership with the Division of Continuing Education at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Check with your college registrar’s office and department to determine whether these credits will transfer to your school. Credit fee information is available after May 1.