JBG SMITH owns, operates, develops, and invests in a portfolio of over 20 million square feet—with another 18 million square feet in our development pipeline—all concentrated in attractive submarkets in the Washington, DC region. Our creativity and scale enable us to be more than owners—we are placemakers who shape inspiring and engaging places, which we believe create value and have a positive impact in every community we touch.
From asset management and development to property operations and leasing, every decision we make at every property aligns with our overarching disciplined strategy of fostering growth and working to maximize value. Our culture of quality and customer service is entirely focused on ensuring that we serve our key customers: satisfied tenants and residents.
We are determined, innovative, competitive, and laser-focused. Our consensus-driven culture is rooted in collaboration and participation—inspiring innovation from every corner of our company. And we recognize and reward performance at all levels. As a result, our company is a magnet for top-tier talent, which we believe ensures a bright and prosperous future for our employees and our company.
The Architectural Design Associate will assist the Design Advisory Group in the development and capital improvement process for new and existing residential communities. The Design Associate naturally excels at working collaboratively with the development and operations teams to identify and implement best practices that will allow JBG SMITH to create exceptional customer experiences and optimize long-term profitability in each of our communities.
Building your future at JBGS SMITH will provide you with the opportunity to learn from the best and develop your career at a large and growing company that recognizes and rewards exceptional performance and focuses on creating a positive impact on every community we touch.
As The Design Advisory Associate you will have the opportunity to
- Deepen your design expertise
- Develop your management and leadership skills
- Learn the key element of driving innovation in operations through design of physical space
- Build your network by interacting with many groups throughout the company including development, asset management, property management, engineering, and residential leadership at JBG SMITH
- Assisting in updating and documenting JBGS Design Guidelines based on best practices and lessons learned for use across all JBGS Development Projects.
- Review project documentation and identify compliance with Design Guidelines.
- Review project designs against project budgetary goals and identify opportunities to meet or exceed budget, construction, schedule, and operational efficiencies.
- Foster, maintain, and record communication between multiple departments: Development, Building Operations and Asset Management, Preconstruction, Brand + Marketing, and Sustainability.
- Continually research and educate on trends and products related to the Building Industry.
- Assist in database maintenance of project designs and comps.
- Maintaining consultant database and scheduling regular consultant meetings.
- Assist in deploying and tracking innovative pilot initiatives.
- Minimum 5 years of architectural experience; work on large scale Multifamily-Mixed Use projects preferred.
- Proficiency with Sketchup, Revit, InDesign (Adobe Suite), Bluebeam and Microsoft Office
- Design Minded: Able to understand, decipher, and review design and construction documentation. Must possess attention to detail, with the ability to identify design or budget issues and suggest solutions.
- Organized: Able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks. Great note taking abilities, strong writing skills. Interest in project management best practices and organization.
- Team Oriented: Works well in a team environment, able to deliver on tight timelines, and ability to work with multiple teams and self-direct and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Presentation Skills: Strong ability to convey ideas in a verbal and graphic way through concise diagrams and/or organization of content.
As a condition of employment, all external candidates must provide proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19 as of your first day of employment, unless a request for an accommodation had been approved. Fully vaccinated means two weeks has passed since the last dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose shot.