CO Clinical Nurse
The Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology seeks a Clinical Nurse to provide care to patients in the Infusion center and GI lab. Procedures include: IV infusion of medications, wireless capsule endoscopy, breath testing and anorectal manometry. The clinical nurse will be responsible for making decisions regarding patient care; serve as a patient advocate; exercise independent, professional judgement and decision making on a consistent basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Transcribe/scan lab work from providers into EPIC. Ensure labs are routed to the correct lab per patient insurance.
• Ensure that all patient orders are up to date and notify provider to obtain new orders prior to scanning.
• Scan all provided orders into EPIC.
• Change provider for each patient to nurse to allow each encounter to be closed.
• Retrieve/print lab slips for order review.
• Document patient visit on progress notes, visit navigator, doc flowsheets, care teams and communication section of EPIC.
• Enter charges for each patient.
• Review physician intake form for appropriateness.
• Assist with pre-authorization process.
• Documentation of medication administration in EPIC.
• Enters notes and graphic readings for physician review.
• Ensures safe patient care using 2 patient identifiers.
• Assess and record vital signs; review and determine stability.
• Review patient’s chart screening for any contraindication to scheduled procedure.
• IV insertion, medication reconstitution, premedication, GTT calculation required for infusion center. Administers medications according to protocol.
• Performs GI lab studies including capsule endoscopy, breath testing and anorectalmanometry according to departmental policy and procedures.
• Ongoing monitoring and assessment of patients receiving infusion or undergoing a procedure.
• Notify provider immediately of any reaction or complication and assist with intervention according to protocol.
• Review appropriate prep prior to procedures, assist in rescheduling if needed.
• Triage phone calls from patients, notify providers about patient issues, i.e. sick, appointment changes, etc.
• Address patient questions and concerns in a warm and receptive manner.
• Handle dissatisfied customers, both patients and providers. Attempt to make the infusion experience as positive as possible to ensure patients return.
• Communicate with referring providers regarding any issue that may require referral changes, etc.
• Communicate with referring providers regarding any changes in patient status.
• Communicate any changes during/after infusions.
• Communicate with the Clinic Supervisor, Ambulatory Services Manager, other nurses and staff regarding scheduling and patient needs
• Follow up with no shows or sick patients. Communicate with providers as needed.
• Update order sheet protocols as needed
• Track and order supplies
• Track and order emergency medications
• Track and order infusion medications and supplies
• Track and order tubing
• Emergency check list
• Order supplies like AED battery as needed
• Emergency drug box; request replacement as needed
• Ensure equipment in working order
• JCAHO reviews
Individual must be a registered nurse, licensed in the State of Maryland or state where practicing. Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related discipline preferred. Current CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated problem solving skills required.
• Demonstrated ability for self-direction and initiation required.
• Demonstrated ability to function as a leader and team player required.
• Extraordinary customer service skills required. Basic computer skills required.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications required
• Knowledge of EPIC and ORMIS scheduling systems preferred; knowledge of IDX
• General clinical ambulatory care instruments and equipment.
Sitting, standing and walking for extended period. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s). Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
This description is a general statement of required duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Classified Title: Clinical Nurse
Working Title: CO Clinical Nurse
Starting Salary Range: $60,945.00 – $83,865.00; Commensurate with experience
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 4:00pm; Essential Onsite
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Columbia Center
Department Name: Medicine,Gastroenterology
Personnel Area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at mailto:email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2243580
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.